Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

theschuss
Frequent Visitor

Update calculated column or filter based on slicer?

I have a complex org hierarchy that isn't realistic to turn into a table (would result in something like 2 million+ fields), but would like to use a manager slicer to retrieve all hierarchy members below them when selected. 

For example, you have employees A, B, C, D, E and F. 

A and B report to C

D and E report to A

F reports to B

If I select C, I want to see the results for B, C, D, E, and F.

I've done this before in role security using PathContains(Path(employee, manager), username) and built a similar measure column to retrieve the slicer value (IE, if you select A, it returns A, B returns B etc.), but as calculated columns are initialized on load, it doesn't change as the value changes. Is there any way to re-initialize the column or do this somehow without blowing up my whole report and redoing every measure and display to use some sort of complex calculate?

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @theschuss,

Not like measures, calculate columns/tables are computed during database processing.  It is impossible to create a calculate column/table can change dynamically with user selections in the slicer. For more details, please review the answer in this knowledge base.

Thanks,
Angelia

Are there any recommended workarounds? 

I know some folks do some interesting stuff with parameters, but was curious if there's any way to do it without changing every measure on the dashboard. 

Hi @theschuss,

Parameter is also another filter your resouce table in Query Editor. I don't think it can resolve your issue. For more details about parameter, please review the articles below.

POWER BI DESKTOP QUERY PARAMETERS, PART 1
Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.