Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jacccodezwart
Frequent Visitor

Unable to use numeric column from SSAS Tabular Model as value

Hi there,

I have a SSAS tabular model (compatibility level SQL Server 2019 / Azure Analysis Services (1500)) and this model is deployed to SSAS server (version 15.0.35.19). The data is retrieve from MS SQL Server.

When connecting to this model using Live Connect from Power BI (Version: 2.100.1381.0 64-bit ) I can import the model. Whitin the model all the columns of the numeric type can't be used as a value to present in a graph or do calculations with.

There is no sigma sign in front of the column name,

jacccodezwart_0-1658391838813.png

but the properties in the model look like :

jacccodezwart_1-1658391894036.png

so by default this column should be able to at least summerize.

The data is retrieve from MS SQL Server database via views. When looking at this view, the column is numeric :

jacccodezwart_2-1658392101294.png

What did I mis ??

Thanks in advance.

Jacco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jacccodezwart probably someone created a Calculation Group on this model. 
This will force the mode property 'Discourage Implicit Measure' to True
And you will not be able to use implicit aggregations rather explicitly create measures on top of the columns (which is anyway the best practice)
You can undo this change by changing this model propery but only if you first delete all the calculation groups (in case you don't need them).

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jacccodezwart probably someone created a Calculation Group on this model. 
This will force the mode property 'Discourage Implicit Measure' to True
And you will not be able to use implicit aggregations rather explicitly create measures on top of the columns (which is anyway the best practice)
You can undo this change by changing this model propery but only if you first delete all the calculation groups (in case you don't need them).

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI, super thanks !!!!

Took a while to find the property, but after switching to code and search for the property, turn it to false, deploy the model, everything works !!!!

I know that using measures on top of columns is the best practice, but during development of the model I like to experiment using the columns direct.

Thanks again !!

Jacco

@jacccodezwart my pleasure 🙂
Check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas and give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.