Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lausaurine

Transcoding column values from one table to another

Hello everyone, 

I have multiple tables in my model that contain binary values or codes that need to be translated to a corresponding label. For example, I have a client table, where the type can be 0 or 1, which means "Loyal" and "Other", or a country table where if the value is 1, it's France, if 2, it's England, 3 is Germany, etc. 

I have a table that I want to use to transcore these values that looks like this :

EntityCodeLabel
Client0Other
Client1Loyal
Country1France
Country2England

My goal was to join the transcoding table to my other tables on the code, with the condition that the entity is the right name. In SQL, I would type :

select Label from transcode

where transcode.Code = Client.client_type

and transcode.Entity = "Client";

But I don't know how to achieve this in Power BI so that I can use labels instead of the codes in each table to build my report. 

Thank you all ! 

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Lausaurine , we will join these two tables on code and cliend type and create one measure and use that with label in table visual

calculate(COunt(transcode[Label]), filter(transcode, transcode[Entity] = "Client" ))

refer if needed

DAX vs SQL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlvQ_SGy4iA&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGZNyKU0PgG2g3P0c6CPjMnj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.