Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

romoguy15
Helper IV
Helper IV

Total Count Last 5 Quarters including current quarter

Hello,

I hope this particular question has not been beaten to death but I am trying to do a simple total count of my data to show the last 5 quarters from Q4 2020 thru Q4 2021. I have a fiscal calendar tied to my data and I'm trying to do this time inteligence formula but I am having two issues. First issue, my forumla is only giving me the total count based on the current fiscal year 2021. It is excluding Q4 2020. The last issue is on the bar chart, it is not breaking out each quarter into individual bars. I used a variable to identify the current year and date, but I believe that is part of my problem since it's causing it to filter the current year 2021. I have added below the sample data and the formula i am trying to come up with.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqID1H0nHPOzhA5G_mf5oIFB8lgP?e=EvRpu9

Last 5 Quarters Including Current Quarter =
VAR CurrentYear = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Year]), 'Calendar'[Date] = TODAY())
RETURN
CALCULATE([Total Tickets],
FILTER(ALL('Calendar'), 'Calendar'[Year] = CurrentYear && 'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] <=CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Sequential Quarter]),
FILTER('Calendar', 'Calendar'[Date] =TODAY())) && 'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] > CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Sequential Quarter]),
FILTER('Calendar' ,[date]=TODAY()))-5))

Thank you in advance for any help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@romoguy15 I have to tweak the measure, realized that you have different fiscal quarters, use this measure:

Last 5 Quarters Including Current Quarter v2 = 
VAR CurrentQuarter = CALCULATE ( MIN ('Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] ), 'Calendar'[Date] = TODAY() )
VAR StartingQuarter = CurrentQuarter - 3
VAR Result =
CALCULATE
(
    [Total Tickets],
    'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] >= StartingQuarter,
    'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] <= CurrentQuarter

)
RETURN Result

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@romoguy15 awesome. take a moment to subscribe my YouTube channel, link below. There will be many interesting videos on Power BI that I will be posting regularly mainly from the questions asked on the community. Cheers!!

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Of course, thank you again.

romoguy15
Helper IV
Helper IV

@parry2k Brilliant, thank you so much.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@romoguy15 I have to tweak the measure, realized that you have different fiscal quarters, use this measure:

Last 5 Quarters Including Current Quarter v2 = 
VAR CurrentQuarter = CALCULATE ( MIN ('Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] ), 'Calendar'[Date] = TODAY() )
VAR StartingQuarter = CurrentQuarter - 3
VAR Result =
CALCULATE
(
    [Total Tickets],
    'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] >= StartingQuarter,
    'Calendar'[Sequential Quarter] <= CurrentQuarter

)
RETURN Result

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@romoguy15 yes it will and here is the measure:

Last 5 Quarters Including Current Quarter = 
CALCULATE ( 
    [Total Tickets]  ,
    KEEPFILTERS ( 
        DATESINPERIOD ('Calendar'[Date], TODAY(), -5, QUARTER ) 
    )  
)

Hey @parry2k , that measure did work the only thing I noticed is lets say I wanted to change it for whatever reason from 5 to 4, it still shows the last 5 quarter. Is there any way to fix that? It's odd, If decide to modify and put 1, 2, or 3 past quarters it works, but not on 4. Any thoughts?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@romoguy15 is this what you are looking for:

parry2k_0-1642009418315.png

Hey @parry2k, yes that is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically the measure is to be dynamic. So next quarter, the measure would then change the bar chart to show Q1 2021 thru Q1 2022 (5 quarters)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.