Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

nicoenz
Helper II
Helper II

Top N by value

Hi everyone, 

I have a table with four columns (supplier, quantity, revenue, cost).

With this table i created a visual that uses a switch to show quantity/revenue/cost by supplier. 

Since the number of suppliers is huge i would like to filter the top 15 suppliers based on the field i selected in the switch (if i select quantity i would like to have the top 15 suppliers based on quantity)

Currently what i do is: In the "Supplier" filter in the "Filters on this visual" section i select TopN and then I need to put a "By value".

I can't make all this work.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!!!

nico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nicoenz if you have a lot of rows, I suggest you to create separate table to get lower number of rows so this newly created table is source  for your visual.

In addition, TOPN is specific function "TOPN does not guarantee any sort order for the results." this could be the reason for your result and motivation to creat shorter table.

https://dax.guide/topn/ 

some_bih_0-1692627475201.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nicoenz
Helper II
Helper II

this is what i have"

The visual: each column is a region, each colour is a supplier

nicoenz_0-1692624451032.png

The switcher with which i select to change the report in the visual (quantity or value). This selects which column to sum

nicoenz_1-1692624571505.png

This is the filter. When i put the measure switcher I get the "First of..." (which shouln'd be)

nicoenz_2-1692625147812.png

and if I apply the filter it doesn't do anything to the chart

Hi @nicoenz if you have a lot of rows, I suggest you to create separate table to get lower number of rows so this newly created table is source  for your visual.

In addition, TOPN is specific function "TOPN does not guarantee any sort order for the results." this could be the reason for your result and motivation to creat shorter table.

https://dax.guide/topn/ 

some_bih_0-1692627475201.png

nicoenz
Helper II
Helper II

hi @some_bih ,

in the visual i only sum all the values. I don't use any topn expression. I was just summing all the values in the column and using the filter in the Filters pane

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @nicoenz create dedicated calculated table based on your TOPN expression. This way you will limit number of rows to evaluate for visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.