Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LogBox

The order in which tables are run within the same dataset.

My report uses 5 tables in one dataset (the result of a MS SQL Server query), can I somehow determine the order in which the queries that fill the tables when updating are executed.

9 REPLIES 9
LogBox

The client needs to recalculate the data in the tables with each automatic update or manual, to immediately have operational information in Power BI

In that case I would suggest you use Direct Query mode for these data sources.

Direct Query is not suitable for us, because the client wants not only to get data from the database, but to recalculate the data in the source database upon request for a BI update. At the same time, the data is calculated according to a complex algorithm by database procedures and the data in these database tables depend on each other, so they need to be recalculated in a certain order.

Then ask them to create a view in the database that represents the result of all these complex calculations. Let Power BI connect to the view.

and how the view will help solve the problem of the order of starting the filling of tables?

with the view(s) it doesn't matter any more in which order you fill the tables - you can do it in parallel.

You are shifting responsibility for data integrity to the data source.

But we are so responsible for the data source as well. Is it possible to solve the problem of the order of execution of queries when updating, using data flows?

Technically yes, but chaining dataflows is considered bad practice.

You may be trying to solve the wrong problem.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please explain why you need that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.