Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

themissingelf
Frequent Visitor

The basics of ranking...

I'm a complete DAX novice (in fact, less than a novice...) but I think I need to find out more about this new language... Starting with ranking...

I have a table something like this:

STORE                 DEPARTMENT                SPACE            SALES            MARGIN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRANCH A          TOYS                             1000               30000             15000

BRANCH A          HOMEWARES                 500                 5000               2500

BRANCH A          BEDDING                      2000                40000            20000

BRANCH B          TOYS                             1000               30000             15000

BRANCH B          HOMEWARES                 500                 5000               2500

BRANCH B          BEDDING                      1000                25000            12500

In a Power BI report I want to display the rank of Branch B based on the total space as follows:

STORE                TOTAL SPACE        RANK

BRANCH B              2500                     2

I would like this to be calculated based on a Report Level filter or slicer so the list of branches can be varied and the rank changes accordinlgy.

Grateful for help to get me started!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@themissingelf

You can try with following Measure formula.

Rank = 
RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( Table1[STORE] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[SPACE] ) ) )

The basics of ranking_1.jpgThe basics of ranking_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@themissingelf

You can try with following Measure formula.

Rank = 
RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( Table1[STORE] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[SPACE] ) ) )

The basics of ranking_1.jpgThe basics of ranking_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks for the solution. It works perfectly.

What if you have 2 different tables. I have one table only for my Brands/Stores, and one for Space. And I do not want the RANK to change under any circumstance, whether someone selects a month or brands.

Thank you. That's exactly the output I want; however, when I use the formula I'm getting getting a number for each branch that is in the hundreds (I think it may be counting the number of instances of the branch in the data)...

Confirmed. It is counting the number of rows for each branch. Perplexed...

Oh, I seem to have accidentally made it work. It's appearing in a different place to my previous attempts so can only assume I've inadvertantly corrected a previous error in my attempts.

@themissingelf

It seems that you have solved the problem now. You can mark the right answer as solution to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Herbert

lalthan
Resolver II
Resolver II

Try below formula. I am not a big fan of rankx and topN DAX formula as I find them to be very slow once the list of items is in tens of thousands and above.

Assuming [Total Space] is a measure i.e. calculated measure li

calculate(rankx(all('Table Name'[Store]),[Total Space])

all('Table Name'[Store]) - This will ignore the filter even if you filter on a single store

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.