Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kristofferaabo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Tanspose/pivot dataset to get columns instaed of rows

Hi I have a task where I need to calculate days between two 'meetings'. Normally the data I get have this in columns and there wont be a problem. 

Is there any wat I can transpose/pivot this so I can do this easier?

I have attached an example of the data

Thanks in advance

Kristofferexample_PB.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

Click on "Edit Queries" -> "Advanced Editor" and paste this code:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc8xC4MwEAXgvxJuFnJXjdqxg6UgTnVQJKMUlw7V/4/v0kztbXnwveRlWWj4uIkKGtb12N4vF3CW2rP4C0uLMFEs/lSJM0MFVVrpLKV1Lr2wqgZhtJSoavOLNcLjq7Z9d/PPMtzGlTot3W2XtgXPVziuEJ62y+vSH5LrexumgU2G2rpRjCc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, #"Type of Meeting" = _t, #"Date of Meeting" = _t, #"Place of Meeting" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"Type of Meeting", type text}, {"Date of Meeting", type date}, {"Place of Meeting", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Place of Meeting"}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[#"Type of Meeting"]), "Type of Meeting", "Date of Meeting")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

After close and apply.

I tried it deleting duplicates (person with more than 1 meeting in the same day).

Thanks,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ricardocamargos
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

How are you gonna calculate it ?

If u use your dataset (attached image) u can use the calculate function to do it.

However I'm not sure if u can do it dinamically unless you link which meeting you wanna compare in a table.

Ricardo

So I would like to calculate like this:

days(meeting 1.date) - days(meeting 2.date)

Does this make sense? 

@Kristofferaabo,

Can you provide the visual you would like to build ?

Which context would be relevant for days(meeting 1.date) - days(meeting 2.date) ?

Tks,

Ricardo

Best case I would need it as a column (delta betwwen two meetings) that way I can anaylyze time gaps across the various persons and roll it up to country

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

Sorry, I can't visualize it. 

Can you, please, try a demo on Excel ? So I can see how you want visualize your data.

Thanks,

Ricardo

thanks for the patience.

Something like this

ex_2.jpg

@Kristofferaabo your requirement is not clear.

Is it always K2-J2?

What about other dates?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

Click on "Edit Queries" -> "Advanced Editor" and paste this code:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc8xC4MwEAXgvxJuFnJXjdqxg6UgTnVQJKMUlw7V/4/v0kztbXnwveRlWWj4uIkKGtb12N4vF3CW2rP4C0uLMFEs/lSJM0MFVVrpLKV1Lr2wqgZhtJSoavOLNcLjq7Z9d/PPMtzGlTot3W2XtgXPVziuEJ62y+vSH5LrexumgU2G2rpRjCc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, #"Type of Meeting" = _t, #"Date of Meeting" = _t, #"Place of Meeting" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"Type of Meeting", type text}, {"Date of Meeting", type date}, {"Place of Meeting", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Place of Meeting"}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[#"Type of Meeting"]), "Type of Meeting", "Date of Meeting")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

After close and apply.

I tried it deleting duplicates (person with more than 1 meeting in the same day).

Thanks,

Ricardo

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.