Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mjdrejza1722
Helper I
Helper I

Table visualization has exceeded resources when adding a single column from related table

I have a table visualization that is 56 columns wide and currently under 4000 rows of data.  I have hit the roadblock of "Visualization has exceed resources" and the table will not display.  I have attempted to deconstruct/rebuild the table to determine which particular columns are possibly causing / contributing to the issue.  I am down to 47 columns, and, according to the Performance Analyzer, the table takes under 2000 ms (less than 2 seconds) to load upon refresh (previously, I have had this table take longer and still load).  However, when I add a column from a related table, the table exceeds the limit, times out, and doesn't display.  The column is not a DAX measure.  It is a text data column from a table with only 5 C x 10 R.  The relationship is many to one (*:1) with a single cross filter direction.  It is not just this particular column, but other similarly "simple" data columns do the same thing.  Why would one column tip the model and exceed resources when without it, the table appears to load reasonably quickly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Mjdrejza1722 ,

Although Text Columns require more space and memory to be processed, this kind of thing is not usual. One thing that comes to mind to resolve this is that you need to check if there is any cross join that is happening between the tables when you add this one particular column (from a table with 5C x 10R).

This Cross join when happens could increase the number of records exponentially all at once, there by breaking the memory limit of Power BI

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Mjdrejza1722 ,

Although Text Columns require more space and memory to be processed, this kind of thing is not usual. One thing that comes to mind to resolve this is that you need to check if there is any cross join that is happening between the tables when you add this one particular column (from a table with 5C x 10R).

This Cross join when happens could increase the number of records exponentially all at once, there by breaking the memory limit of Power BI

Regards,

I will check on the cross join, although I am not sure how to find that.  That feels like the probable cause.  And I guess I could have more than one cross join situation with multiple tables.  I did do a quick experiment where I merged the desired column to the main data table and then added it to the visualization.  That worked fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.