Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Table deleted long time ago not found while refreshing

Hi,

I came up with this strange scenario, when Power BI Desktop is trying to find/refresh table that was deleted long time ago.  It says "Cannot find table 'xxxx'". Even if it "cannot find table" none of my measures have errors, nor any visual is not displayed because of that "missing" table. Has anyone come accross this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

OK, thing is that I had a few measures that referred to the deleted table. Surely they were with errors. It looks like Power BI analyzes everything (tables, measures) defined in Desktop and tries to load them alongside what is defined in Power Query. Do not know what is the logic behind this, but that's how Microsoft designed it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @gvg 

Have you refreshed your model after the table was deleted and saved it post that? If yes, then this error should not pop up. If it still persists, go and delete the temp files from the below path:

C:\Users\ankit\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves. This would not impact any of your data and files, it would just clear the temp files that is being cached.

Post that open your pbix file and click on each of your steps in your query and ensure data gets previewed on every step.

Thanks,

Ankit

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Thanks for the hint. Sure I refreshed my model a number of times. I have now cleared everything from TempSaves and also Cache, but the issue is still there. Strangely enough refreshing in Power Query (Refresh All) goes smoothly without any error message. However when I click Refresh in Power BI Desktop itself, I end up with the above mentioned issue.

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

OK, thing is that I had a few measures that referred to the deleted table. Surely they were with errors. It looks like Power BI analyzes everything (tables, measures) defined in Desktop and tries to load them alongside what is defined in Power Query. Do not know what is the logic behind this, but that's how Microsoft designed it.

Hi @gvg,

It sounds like internal dependency related issues that power bi does not contain functions to troubleshoot and fix this scenario.
Perhaps you can try to rebuild your report on the new pbix file and check if this issue appears again or try to use the tabular editor or SSMS to open the instance to check them.

Tabular Editor 

Power bi data model instance 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.