Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

sjpaq
Helper I
Helper I

Table.TransformColumns Error

I have a powerQuery which combines 2 tables. The resulting table has a few columns that are null as a result of the combine. In one case, I am able to replace the null value with a text value using a the following statement:

Now, in another case, I have to replace the null column with a multiplication on 2 other columns. I am trying to use the following statement which results in an error:

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, {"Amount", each if (_ is null and [IndName] = "Response Costs") then ([Hours] * [Hourly Rate]) else _})

The error is 

Expression.Error: We cannot apply field access to the type Null.
Details:
Value=
Key=IndName

3 REPLIES 3
PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @sjpaq 

Can you please try 

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, {"Amount", each if [YourColumnName]=null and [IndName] = "Response Costs") then ([Hours] * [Hourly Rate]) else ""})

Or 

Add new column
 = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Amount", each if [YourColumnName]=null and [IndName] = "Response Costs" then ([Hours]*[Hourly Rate]) else ""}

Let me know if that works for you

If your requirement is solved, please mark THIS ANSWER as SOLUTION ✔️ and help other users find the solution quickly. Please hit the Thumbs Up 👍 button if this comment helps you.

Thanks
Pijush
Linkedin

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @sjpaq ,

as far as I understand it's not possible to reference other columns in the Table.TransformColumns function:

"It’s important to note that a transformation can only take place on a column itself"

But you can add it as a new column and then delete the old one:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Amount] is null and [IndName] = "Response Costs" then [Hours] * [Hourly Rate] else [Amount])

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi
Follow me: twitter.com/DenSelimovic

Thank you Denis

I'm very close with your suggestion. The column [Hours] is on the original table, the column [Hourly Rate] is a lookup value set in a previous step (= Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "RankHourlyRates", {"Hourly Rate"}, {"Hourly Rate"})) and I cannot reference it in my multiplication. I get the following error.

Expression.Error: The field 'Hourly Rate' of the record wasn't found.
Details:
Breach=BR_Cyber Star 2024
Date=2/1/2024
Team Member Name=CTI0
Rank=Capt
Group or Cell=CTI
Activity=Detect
Hours=8

any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.