Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ceane
Regular Visitor

Syntax error in new Measure (SUMX & FILTER)

Hi,  I'm new to PowerBI, but relatively profficient in excel. However no experience with DAX formulas.

I am creating a BI dashboard based on some financial data, and I'm trying to create a new measure using a combo of SUMX & FILTER functions, but clearly I don't understand the syntax properly. This is the situation.

I have a query that looks somthing like this:

CurrencyCost TypeDivisionLocationDateAmount
AUDTotal Employment CostChemistryAfrica1/01/2015500
AUDEBITBiologyEurope1/01/2015400
AUDNet RevenueScienceAsia1/01/2015300
AUDTECGardeningNorth America1/01/2015200
AUDEBITChemistrySouth America1/01/2015500
USDNet RevenueBiologyAfrica1/01/2015600
USDTECScienceEurope1/01/2015200
USDEBITGardeningAsia1/01/2015100
etcetcetcetcetcetc

Each location has an EBIT, TEC and Net Revenue Value, in USD & AUD.

I would like to create a new Measure (Cost Base) = Revenue - EBIT, and a second Measure (Other Costs) = Cost Base - TEC.

To do this I've tried:

Cost Base = sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]=EBIT),'Cost Types'[Amount])  

But I keep getting errors.  I'm pretty sure they revolve around the "EBIT" but I'm not sure how to resolve. And I haven't even attempted the second part of the equation yet: do i do sumx - sumx?

The end goal is to create a stacked bar graph over time, with TEC:OtherCosts:EBIT where the total = revenue. This graph will be sliced by currency, division and location.

Is any of this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ceane,

As the @Phil_Seamark, if the data type is text, you should use "EBIT" rather than EBIT. For your requriement of 'Cost Base = Revenue - EBIT', the Revenue is Net Revenue, right? If it is, please create measure using the following formulas.

Cost Base = sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="Net Revenue"),'Cost Types'[Amount])-sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="EBIT"),'Cost Types'[Amount])

Other Costs = 'Cost Types'[Cost Base]- sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="TEC"),'Cost Types'[Amount])

Then create three slicer including currency, division and location seperately. Create a  a stacked bar graph, select the date as axis level, the Cost and Other Costs measures are value level, you will get the chart like the following screenshot.

Capture11.PNG

You can click the Format->Edit Interactions, edit if the slicer effect bar chart. When you hit button highlighted in yellow background, the slicer will effect the chart. Otherwise, the slicer doesn't effect chart when you select the circle(highlighted in red line).

Capture2.PNG

If you have any other problem, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ceane,

As the @Phil_Seamark, if the data type is text, you should use "EBIT" rather than EBIT. For your requriement of 'Cost Base = Revenue - EBIT', the Revenue is Net Revenue, right? If it is, please create measure using the following formulas.

Cost Base = sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="Net Revenue"),'Cost Types'[Amount])-sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="EBIT"),'Cost Types'[Amount])

Other Costs = 'Cost Types'[Cost Base]- sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="TEC"),'Cost Types'[Amount])

Then create three slicer including currency, division and location seperately. Create a  a stacked bar graph, select the date as axis level, the Cost and Other Costs measures are value level, you will get the chart like the following screenshot.

Capture11.PNG

You can click the Format->Edit Interactions, edit if the slicer effect bar chart. When you hit button highlighted in yellow background, the slicer will effect the chart. Otherwise, the slicer doesn't effect chart when you select the circle(highlighted in red line).

Capture2.PNG

If you have any other problem, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Give this a crack

Cost Base = sumx(filter('Cost Types','Cost Types'[Cost Type]="EBIT"),'Cost Types'[Amount]) 

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.