Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Fiejj
Regular Visitor

Switching columns based on slicer

Hi everyone,

I currently have a table called 'Flights', which contains one row per unique flight. The table contains different columns, including 'Origin Airport' and 'Destination Airport'. I would like to create a visualization showing the number of flights (Y-axis) per airport (X-axis). Instead of making two separate visualizations (one for origin airports and one for destination airports), I would like to combine both visualizations and let users decide if they want to see destination or origin airports based on a slicer. This basically means that the X-axis should use a different column based on the slicer selection. I have tried several solutions from both this forum and Google but every case I find seems to be a little bit different...

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the moment, you cannot make dynamic X axis in Power BI because measures are still not accepted as axis (except in scatter charts).

You can use this trick though:

You pick a chart (let's say a histogram) with two columns in the X-Axis: The airport origin column and the destination column;Cap Help Airports.PNG

And then, you can play with the hierarchy of the graph to switch between origin and destination airports:

Hierarchy.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Fiejj

This one got my creative side going as I have data like this so I wanted to see if there was a way around the limitation!

By creating summary tables and then using union to join the two summary tables together and a disconnected slicer I was able to achieve something that works!  

Here's the pbix if you'd like to see how I went about it FlightDiary.pbix The data is pretty boring as I tend to flight from and to the same airports but you can see things change for some airports.

For the moment, you cannot make dynamic X axis in Power BI because measures are still not accepted as axis (except in scatter charts).

You can use this trick though:

You pick a chart (let's say a histogram) with two columns in the X-Axis: The airport origin column and the destination column;Cap Help Airports.PNG

And then, you can play with the hierarchy of the graph to switch between origin and destination airports:

Hierarchy.PNG

Please accept as a solution so the whole community can benefit from our conversation and see it is actually solved 🙂

Thanks.

Thanks, this will do for now. If anyone has a solution which allows for a 'real' slicer, please let me know. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.