Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jeti

Sum to higher level in hierarchy - unexpected results

Hi,

I had to port a solution from SSAS multidimensional to PowerBI. Unfortunately, it involves many to many relations and parent-child hierarchies:).

I don't get correct sum for the higher level for a measure (first clumn in example below), which shows only positive amounts.

image.png

First column - actually a measure is calculated from second column (also a measure) :  IF ([ZnesekIzkazPredznakSum] > 0;[ZnesekIzkazPredznakSum];BLANK())
On the leaf level things are ok, but on the parent level, the negative value is included.

Any ideas?

I can also post the Power BI file.

Cheers, Janez

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jeti

What you've writen can actually work but as a new COLUMN and if it references the column

New Column (Only > 0) = IF ('Table'[Column] > 0, 'Table '[Column], BLANK() )

To make it work as a MEASURE you need to filter out those numbers from the calculation like this...

SUM Only > 0 MEASURE =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Column] ), FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[Column] > 0 ) )

Your measure first performs the sum and then looks at the context!

That's why it works only on the lowest level!

When it moves to the higher level - first it sums all the numbers at that level - and then checks if >0

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Thanks for reply, I'm new to tabular and DAX,please bear with me 🙂

In my case I have added a series of measures, because ob M2M relationship and attributes in the intermediate table which affect calculation in fact table.  So I came to final calculation by steps.  But only at the final step I want to check for negative amounts.  Using your proposed solution would filter underlying negative rows ...

I tried to convert this last measure (before checking for negative) to column, but I get an out of memory error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.