Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kman42
Helper III
Helper III

Struggling with grouping

I have a table that lists status history line items. It has columns called Status and Created On as well as a key field to relate it to another table. Status contains a unique value from the list: "Pending", "Awarded", "Not Awarded", "Abandoned". There are a few others, but that is enough for the example. I set up a Matrix visual and added Status to the column list and a simple count to values. This works fine, but I don't want to list all of the statuses. Instead, I want a column for "Awarded" and one for "Sent" that is a group of "Pending", "Awarded" and "Not Awarded", but excludes "Abandoned". I tried creating a group, but I don't see a way to have "Awarded" part of the "Sent" group and also on it's own. Eventually, I want a measure Success Rate = count(status="Awarded")/count(status="Sent")*100 [psuedocode, obviously].

Any help?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @kman42 

You could try this way that create a new manually entered table and keep the cross filter direction is "Both"

And the total for it will give only first Sent.

For example:

6.JPG

so you need to use the measure as below:

Measure = var _table=ADDCOLUMNS('group',"_value",CALCULATE(SUM(Basic[Value]))) return
SUMX(_table,[_value])

7.JPG

here is sample pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @kman42 

You could try this way that create a new manually entered table and keep the cross filter direction is "Both"

And the total for it will give only first Sent.

For example:

6.JPG

so you need to use the measure as below:

Measure = var _table=ADDCOLUMNS('group',"_value",CALCULATE(SUM(Basic[Value]))) return
SUMX(_table,[_value])

7.JPG

here is sample pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. It looks like that will work, but could you explain what the measure is doing?

Thanks!

hi, @kman42 

It likes a measure totals problem. See this post about it
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should help you:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

Best Regards,

Lin

kamalmsharma
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

You can create a calculated column using if function which assigns two values "Awarded" and "Sent" for corresponding values in status column. Then bring that new column into the matrix visual.

Hope this helps. Let me know in case you need help in wrinting functions.

Regards,

kamal

www.addendanalytics.com

@kman42 wrote:

I have a table that lists status history line items. It has columns called Status and Created On as well as a key field to relate it to another table. Status contains a unique value from the list: "Pending", "Awarded", "Not Awarded", "Abandoned". There are a few others, but that is enough for the example. I set up a Matrix visual and added Status to the column list and a simple count to values. This works fine, but I don't want to list all of the statuses. Instead, I want a column for "Awarded" and one for "Sent" that is a group of "Pending", "Awarded" and "Not Awarded", but excludes "Abandoned". I tried creating a group, but I don't see a way to have "Awarded" part of the "Sent" group and also on it's own. Eventually, I want a measure Success Rate = count(status="Awarded")/count(status="Sent")*100 [psuedocode, obviously].

Any help?

Thanks!

kman42
Helper III
Helper III

Would it be possible to do this by creating a new manually entered table as follows:

Category        Status
Awarded        Awarded
Sent               Awarded
Sent               Pending
Sent               Not Awarded
Abandoned    Abandoned

And then using the Category column as a column on the matrix visual and filtering for just Awarded and Sent? That way for the Awarded category it would just pull in the Awarded status, but for the Sent category it would pull in everything except for the Abandoned status?

@kman42 ,

No it will try to filter and give only first Sent.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/DATATABLE-code-help/m-p/801126#M4849

You might look at this link to a question on datatable.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.