Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vinny1986
Regular Visitor

Storage space insufficient for report on powerbi desktop

Hello, So I often get the message that there isn't sufficient storage space on my virtual machine where I have powerbi desktop when I refresh a large powerbi file. So what I usually do is I clear the cache in the options, play in the app data folder on C disk to try to clean up some space to be able to save my file so I can publish it in service. It's just that at some point this technique doesn't work anymore the file are just too big even if I set in the options the cache capacity to something really big.

My question is: If I change my powerbi pro licence to premium will it fix the issue and allow me to play and store bigger file with space error message? We are thinking about changing to a premium per user licence for the report author in the company and keep the report browser to a pro licence. Do you think this will work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vinny1986 the license has nothing to do with how much data you can load on the Power BI desktop, the license helps in the size of the semantic model in the Power BI service.

As a technique, you should create a parameter to load a small set of data in the Power BI desktop for development purposes, and then in the service, set the parameter to load the full data. 

There are a lot of blog posts about this technique. Don't get carried away with the license and you will find yourself in the same situation.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vinny1986 doesn't matter how you use it, somewhere you have to tell when to load full data and generally it is controlled by the parameters.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vinny1986 the license has nothing to do with how much data you can load on the Power BI desktop, the license helps in the size of the semantic model in the Power BI service.

As a technique, you should create a parameter to load a small set of data in the Power BI desktop for development purposes, and then in the service, set the parameter to load the full data. 

There are a lot of blog posts about this technique. Don't get carried away with the license and you will find yourself in the same situation.

Would deployment pipeline help to have complete data in a buffer area and not expose incomplete data to the users in service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.