Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DMPower

Stacked area chart: disappearing shade area

Hello.
I'm attempting to create a stacked are chart, that shows the cumulative contribution (area) of 3 categories on top of each other. One of the categeories has negative contribution (negative area) so it should sit below the y-axis, which it does in the chart, however it is not every visible. This is what it looks like, the bottom area should be a bright green. 

DMPower_2-1696582222638.png

In fact if I alter the shade area- area transparency it dissapears altogether.

DMPower_0-1696581858830.png

But if reverse the stack order it is visible in the way i would like it to be. Just not in the order I'd like ideally!

DMPower_3-1696582359558.png

This is what I want it to look like. I can sort of achieve the look I want by using the 'Area chart' visual. However the problem with this is that the 'Area chart' visual doesn't have the total labels (adding the total area), which is the main point this visual is trying to get across.

DMPower_1-1696582088353.png

Any ideas on how to fix this, either by adding a total label to the area chart or configure the stacked area chart to not hide my green area?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @DMPower 
There are not many options to "play" with this kind of graph.
I think that the only thing that you can do to see all your areas is to change the lines without using shading at all + to add a clear 0 line.

Ritaf1983_0-1697001673609.png

It's essential to recognize that, from the standpoint of effective data visualization, a graph may not be the most efficient means of conveying data relationships. The brain expends considerable energy deciphering various dimensions, colors, trends, and the intricacies of stacked graphs. I suggest exploring alternatives such as smaller graphs or other visualization methods to facilitate better comprehension of the data relationships by users.

For example:

Ritaf1983_1-1697002077402.png

Link to the pbix with both versions 

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @DMPower 
There are not many options to "play" with this kind of graph.
I think that the only thing that you can do to see all your areas is to change the lines without using shading at all + to add a clear 0 line.

Ritaf1983_0-1697001673609.png

It's essential to recognize that, from the standpoint of effective data visualization, a graph may not be the most efficient means of conveying data relationships. The brain expends considerable energy deciphering various dimensions, colors, trends, and the intricacies of stacked graphs. I suggest exploring alternatives such as smaller graphs or other visualization methods to facilitate better comprehension of the data relationships by users.

For example:

Ritaf1983_1-1697002077402.png

Link to the pbix with both versions 

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks for your reply, it's a good suggestion. Unfortunately for this case, this is a requested visual, but perhaps you're right, I will go back and ask if this might be the most appropriate visual, in any other case. I might opt for the 'area chart' as the next best thing for what they want

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.