Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PierreL69
Helper III
Helper III

Stacked Column Chart : add Total column

Hello the community,

Sorry if my message has already been posted, but I am pretty sure you will find the answer quickly

Here my data :

data.JPG

Here the result and until here everything is fine:

Chart.JPG

What I want to do is to add a simple total column like under excel :

123.JPG

I already found a trick by duplicating the chart and then removing the range value.

And then to finish trying to connect the two graphics as well as possible

but I don't find this solution very convenient.

Do you have other tricks please ?

Many thanks,

Pierre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PierreL69 solution attached, here are the steps:

- unpivot your original table in power query

- create new range table from original table and added a Total row

- create relationship between two tables on Range

- add measure to check if Total then add all values otherwise simple sum

- on visual, use Range on x-axis from new table called Range and on value use measure and legend is Type

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PierreL69 solution attached, here are the steps:

- unpivot your original table in power query

- create new range table from original table and added a Total row

- create relationship between two tables on Range

- add measure to check if Total then add all values otherwise simple sum

- on visual, use Range on x-axis from new table called Range and on value use measure and legend is Type

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thank you very much !

The final result is perfect, much more better than my trick

But is this the easiest solution to generate a total?

Because I still find it not very intuitive when you have limited knowledge about Power BI

I was hoping there would be a simple button or option to add this total.

In any case, a big thank you

@PierreL69 nothing like adding by click of button afaik. 

Hi, it is me again,

I just would like to understand why did you use the Max function to find the total?

Because max function work usually with numbers if I am not wrong?

Thanks for your help

@PierreL69 it doesn't need to be MAX, it can be MIN, basically we need to use an aggregated function to get the value of ouur Range column, since it is a measure, we cannot use column directly so that's the reason I used MAX. Hope it helps. let me know if you have further question.

I am still a little bit confused.

For example if I replace Max by the Average formula, it could also work?

The idea is to use a formula (so an aggregated function), that return one value and to compare it to the value we are looking for

Thanks

Ok thanks for the info,

Now I know the way to do it 🙂

This is the important thing

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.