Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iand66
Helper I
Helper I

SortBy Column ... Driving me Crackers!

Sometimes you just need a helping hand from someone else before you go off and do something stupid ... like buy Tableau!

I have two user defined tables 'Metrics' & 'ShowAs' with SortBy Column set to 'Index' (integer / whole number in both cases)

On report view 'ShowAs' slicer sorts in index order (i.e. non-alpha which is what I want) ... can't get 'Metric' slicer other than ascending or descending alpha. Messed with all possible combinations of Sort Axis. Both slicers work i.e. data on card updates as expected {Index of Metric shows as Text on screenshot - changed it to INT & no difference}. Saved & reloaded, Ctrl-Alt-Del, shutdown, stooded on one leg with my finger in left ear, and then right ear ... and all to no avail 😞

iand66_0-1669324144584.png

Worked OK last time I did it (about 12 months ago)

iand66_1-1669324775645.png

PBI desktop version is 2.110.1161.0 (22.10) (x64)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @iand66 

Please use the sort by column feature:

Mikelytics_0-1669326705347.png

Mikelytics_1-1669326742695.png

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @iand66 

Please use the sort by column feature:

Mikelytics_0-1669326705347.png

Mikelytics_1-1669326742695.png

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

HI @iand66 

Did it solve your challenge?

If yes please mark my post as solution.

Best regards

Michael

Hi Mike, thank your for the response. As mentioned in the original post "I have two user defined tables 'Metrics' & 'ShowAs' with SortBy Column set to 'Index'" ... so have already been down all the obvious routes. Fortunately, Rico Zhou has already accepted your idea as a solution on my behalf. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get PBI to do what I want, in the way that it used to (see above screenshot)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.