Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkCBB
Helper V
Helper V

Slow DAX measure

Hi There,

I have the below Measure, and I am pretty sure there is a better way to write this. currently this takes 3-5 mins to calculate.

I think that it is the FILTER that is slowing it down.

DSC 90-150 Days = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SALES),SALES[SOH]<>BLANK(),FILTER(SALES,[Actual DSC]>=90),FILTER(SALES,[Actual DSC]<150)),CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SALES),SALES[SOH]<>BLANK()),0)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @MarkCBB, I connected with a colleague and we had a few ideas on this:

The Filter function is evaluating within a row context on the Sales table - ie it is evaluating the filter criteria for each row in the Sales table. There's a more efficient way we can evaluate this criteria for each row...by using a calculated column!

I would make a calculated column: Actual DSC = [SOH]/[Units] which gives me the Actual DSC value for each row. I can then reference this column's value to determine if I want to include the row in my measures or not.

Next, I would create my measure. When counting the number of rows, I would use COUNTA instead of COUNTROWS. COUNTA will count the number of rows in which a column has a non blank value.

DSC 150-210 = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTA(SALES[SOH]), SALES[Actual DSC] >=150 && SALES[Actual DSC]<210),COUNTA(SALES[SOH]),0)

So essentially COUNTA(SALES[SOH]) will count all the rows of the SALES table in which SOH is not blank.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MarkCBB, quick question: is [Actual DSC] a measure or a column in the SALES table?

Hello @Anonymous,

It is a measure, below:

Actual DSC = CALCULATE(SUM(SALES[SOH])/[Total Units],SALES[SOH]<>BLANK())

And here is the onw for Total Units:

Total Units = SUM(SALES[UNITS])

Hi @Anonymous

This seems to work a bit faster, but still really slow:

DSC 150-210 Days = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SALES),SALES[SOH]<>BLANK(),FILTER(SALES,[Actual DSC]>=150 && [Actual DSC]<210)),CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SALES),SALES[SOH]<>BLANK()),0)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @MarkCBB, I connected with a colleague and we had a few ideas on this:

The Filter function is evaluating within a row context on the Sales table - ie it is evaluating the filter criteria for each row in the Sales table. There's a more efficient way we can evaluate this criteria for each row...by using a calculated column!

I would make a calculated column: Actual DSC = [SOH]/[Units] which gives me the Actual DSC value for each row. I can then reference this column's value to determine if I want to include the row in my measures or not.

Next, I would create my measure. When counting the number of rows, I would use COUNTA instead of COUNTROWS. COUNTA will count the number of rows in which a column has a non blank value.

DSC 150-210 = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTA(SALES[SOH]), SALES[Actual DSC] >=150 && SALES[Actual DSC]<210),COUNTA(SALES[SOH]),0)

So essentially COUNTA(SALES[SOH]) will count all the rows of the SALES table in which SOH is not blank.

Hope that helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.