Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vpatel55
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Shifting dates one year back

I am trying to shift a column of dates by one year.  I have tried SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, PARALLELLPERIOD and DATEADD. I want to avoid simply subtracting 365 days.

They all return the error "The True / False express does not specify a column. Each True / False expressions used as a table filter must refer to exactly the one column.

However, I have used SELECTCOLUMNS to isolate the one column.

This is intended to work as follows. The start date and yesterdays date of the current year are stored in variables StartDate and YesterdayDate. Next, a calculated table with these dates are stored in MtdTable. I then use SELECTCOLUMNS to isolate just the date column in the calculated table. This is then used within PARALELLPERIOD.

Right answer gets a Kudo 🙂

Expression =
VAR ThisMonthStartDate =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
VAR StartDate =
    IF ( DAY ( TODAY () ) > 1, ThisMonthStartDate, EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -2 ) + 1 )
VAR YesterdayDate =
    TODAY () - 1
VAR MtdTable =
    FILTER (
        ALL ( dimCalendar ),
        dimCalendar[Date] <= YesterdayDate
            && dimCalendar[Date] >= StartDate
    )
VAR SelectDateColumnOnly =
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( MtdTable, "Date", VALUES ( dimCalendar[Date] ) )
VAR ShiftToLastYear =
    CALCULATE ( PARALLELPERIOD ( SelectDateColumnOnly, -1, YEAR ) )
VAR _Calculation =
    CALCULATE ( [Expression], ShiftToLastYear )
RETURN
    _Calculation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@amitchandak pointed me in the right direction such that I could use the inbuilt time shifting functions but ignoring the current day. I'm including this post too if anyone finds it useful, as I wanted MTD last year, but ingoring the current day. Here is the code for that:

MTD previous year = 
VAR _max =
    TODAY () - 1
VAR _min =
    EOMONTH ( _max, -1 ) + 1
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Expression)],
        DATEADD ( DATESBETWEEN ( dimCalendar[Date], _min, _max ), -1, YEAR )
    )

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@vpatel55 , I doubt correct usage. Always use date tbale

refer examples

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

last year MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH)))

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))

Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]))

Hi @amitchandak I'm afraid I can't easily use the inbuilt MTD functions because our data is one day behind. So on the 1st day of the month, it needs to refer to the whole of the previous month. Only on the 2nd of the month, should it start reporting for the current month. So I need to shift my StartDate and YesterdayDate dates. Any ideas?

@vpatel55 , try this

MTD a day before =
var _max = if(isfiltered('Date'),MAX( 'Date'[Date]) , today())-1
var _min = eomonth(_max,-1)+1 ,
return
CALCULATE([net] ,DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],_min,_max))

or

MTD a day before =
var _max = if(isfiltered('Date'),MAXX(allselected('Date'), 'Date'[Date]) , today())-1
var _min = eomonth(_max,-1)+1 ,
return
CALCULATE([net] ,DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],_min,_max))

You can also check

https://medium.com/chandakamit/cheat-sheet-power-bi-time-intelligence-formulas-using-today-654f26e27...

Hi @amitchandak thanks for your response, I think we are nearly there, The top formula returned back some of today's numbers, which I wanted to avoid. However, removing the ISFILTERED and MAX date solves that, and brings the correct answer:

Expression = 
var _max = today()-1
var _min = eomonth(_max,-1)+1
return
CALCULATE([Measure] ,DATESBETWEEN(dimCalendar[Date],_min,_max))

Can you confirm that I have not ruined this so that it will still show the complete previous month on the 1st of the month, and it will still not begin counting this months numbers until the 2nd of the month (but always excluding the current day)?

Thanks again.

@amitchandak pointed me in the right direction such that I could use the inbuilt time shifting functions but ignoring the current day. I'm including this post too if anyone finds it useful, as I wanted MTD last year, but ingoring the current day. Here is the code for that:

MTD previous year = 
VAR _max =
    TODAY () - 1
VAR _min =
    EOMONTH ( _max, -1 ) + 1
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Expression)],
        DATEADD ( DATESBETWEEN ( dimCalendar[Date], _min, _max ), -1, YEAR )
    )

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.