Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Share Report with Coworkers without Pro License

Are there any ways to share a Power BI Report with others within my organization (not broadly), to users who do NOT have a Power BI Pro License?  I had shared one previously with one of my coworkers without a license but for some reason they can't access it now.  I have shared direct access to the dataset and to the report.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I have tried about 20 different things to do this and no luck.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @chris-thompson 

I just realized I overlooked this. PowerBI Pro licenses are required, otherwise they will only be allowed to view the content in their 'My Workspace'.

The biggest difference between Free and Pro is that with Pro you can share your data, reports, and dashboards with other users who also have a Power BI Pro license.

You should consider 'Power BI Premium Capacity' or 'Publish to web', which enables unlimited distribution of your content without the need for consumers to have Pro licenses.

Related thread:

How-to-share-dashboard-with-Free-users-with-Pro-License 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Aaron_R
Regular Visitor

There are third-party solutions to share Power BI reports externally, via secure web portals, without the need for Power BI licences.

These are featured on Microsoft Appsource or Marketplace - just search "share Power BI externally" or similar.

Binokula is one vendor for example.

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @chris-thompson 

Could you please tell me whether your problem has been solved?

As a workaround, you can copy these content to a new workspace and granted users access to the entire workspace as a Member. So they can directly access everything under the workspace.

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI 

Best Regards,

The issue had not been solved.  I will have to look into your recommendation.  Do all of the individuals that you want to grant access to the workspace need to have PowerBI Pro licenses?  Or is this supposed to be a workaround for that?

Hi, @chris-thompson 

I just realized I overlooked this. PowerBI Pro licenses are required, otherwise they will only be allowed to view the content in their 'My Workspace'.

The biggest difference between Free and Pro is that with Pro you can share your data, reports, and dashboards with other users who also have a Power BI Pro license.

You should consider 'Power BI Premium Capacity' or 'Publish to web', which enables unlimited distribution of your content without the need for consumers to have Pro licenses.

Related thread:

How-to-share-dashboard-with-Free-users-with-Pro-License 

Best Regards,

it is possible to share Power BI reports with coworkers without having a Pro license. Here are the steps to do it:

https://anyonconsulting.com/business_intelligence/how-to-share-power-bi-reports-with-coworkers-witho...

This doesn't work. I tried it. Co-workers still need a Pro license to view dashboards embedded in a Sharepoint site. I tried embeding the report as well as pulishing the report as an app and embeding the app in our team's Sharepoint site. In both cases they were unable to view and Microsoft prompted them to get a Pro license to be able to view the dashboard.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@chris-thompson 

If you want to share a report within an organization, you and your colleagues need to have a PowerBI Pro or Premium license.

When you said that you had previously shared a report without a license.... i believe that your colleague was probably using a trial version of the software.

If they dont have a Pro or Premium license then I think your only option is to Publish the report to web:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

The limitation is that other people that will get the link, will also have access to the report

Yes her colleagues would have used under 60 days trial period.

Thank you.  I do have it published to the web, but when they try to access the report they get this error: 

christhompson_0-1652734190091.png

Can you specifically identify how I would be able to share access to the report that is published on the web?  Are there specific steps?  

@chris-thompson 

Please follow the steps on the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

Share the URL with the end users

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.