Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbrad
Frequent Visitor

Shape Map - Still available after Azure Maps replaces Map/Filled Map?

As of August 2023, the Shape Map (Preview) documentation has a note stating "In a future release, Power BI plans to deprecate older map visuals and migrate existing reports to Azure Maps. You can convert maps and filled maps to Azure Maps visuals now." The conversion documentation only refers to Maps and Filled Maps, but does not mention Shape Maps. Does anyone know if Shape Maps will still be available after Power BI fully migrates to Azure Maps?  It doesn't look like Azure Maps offers the same functionality of Shape Maps - specifically the ability to load a custom TopoJSON file and use it without having to connect to an external location service like Bing Maps.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Fair observation. Thankfully there are plenty of alternatives for vector maps and choropleths, including those that support WGS84 and various projections.

Thanks @lbendlin . Are there any alternatives you would recommend? I am mainly displaying sociodemographic data via choropleths for US counties and CBSAs. The standard Filled Map (and from what I've seen so far from Azure Maps) is too slow when loading many geographies at once (e.g., all counties in the US). Shape Maps have been helpful, as I don't need the external location services.  I appreciate your thoughts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.