Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aoliver
Helper III
Helper III

Select Rows if text Contains (Value of a list)

Hello everyone, ill explain my problem with examples:

I have a table like this:

ID - Message

1 - @asdf
2 - @8rr

3 - 674

4 - 1231@3
etc
In a List, i have the differents  values which I want to filter  of the  previous table, i.e:
List: 
@8
@3

What I want is filter the first table, in the case  that  the message contain  ANY of the values of the list, so my expected result would be:

1 - @asdf

3 - 674

Check  that its CONTAINS and not EQUAL.

Ok, lets go to M code, after my test, I could solve partially the problem, I achieve to filter if the message is Exactly the string in the List, with the following code: 

= Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value1", each not (List.Contains(List, [message])))

After a research, Ill try this code, but it does not work: 
= Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value1", each not (List.MatchesAny(List, each Text.Contains([message],_))))

It brings me the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply field access to the type Text.

So, any ideas of how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aoliver here is how you can do it

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTQVXBILE5JU4rViVYyAvEsiorAHGMgx8zcBMw2AbINjYwNHYyVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x) => List.MatchesAny(SearchList, each Text.Contains(x[Column1], _)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

here is the query for SearchList

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcrBQitUBUsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Column1 = #"Changed Type"[Column1]
in
    Column1

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aoliver here is how you can do it

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTQVXBILE5JU4rViVYyAvEsiorAHGMgx8zcBMw2AbINjYwNHYyVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x) => List.MatchesAny(SearchList, each Text.Contains(x[Column1], _)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

here is the query for SearchList

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcrBQitUBUsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Column1 = #"Changed Type"[Column1]
in
    Column1

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

Sorry for mention you again, my  problem has changed a little:

It is possible to filter 2 times in 2 different columns? Let me explain with an example:
My table
ID - STATUS 1 - STATUS 2
1 - TD - #8

2 - TD - #5

3 - TM - #5

I want to filter with AND not with Any, for example (in my  list) 

List 1      List2

TD          #8

TM          #5

So, List1 filters status1 and List 2 filters status2,

so the result would be
2 - TD - #5

There is a problem: the value of the list is not the whole value of status columns, its just a part of it.

Have the example sense? Any ideas? 
Ive tried to create 2 conditional columns but that is a OR not an AND, in logical forms.

Thanks again

Amazing, this is exactly what I looking for, THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.