Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SUMX with Filter which count twice when it wants..

Hello

I get a problem with this sum and filter function.

The good result of my sumx is 11,30 for the condition I ask for. I get this number all the time (which is good) for a same client (CIFD here) as you an see underneath . But when the client changes, (MGEN for instance), the number is twice and wrong. I do not understand because my condition does not include any Client Column, It should have no impact on the result. It looks like Sumx function calculate twice at each changement of client. Do not understand.

SUMX(FILTER('Table'; 'Table'[ANNEE] = EARLIER('Table'[ANNEE]) && 'Table'[NUM MOIS]=EARLIER('Table'[NUM MOIS]) && 'Table'[COLLABORATEURId]=EARLIER('Table'[COLLABORATEURId]);'Table'[NB JR HSITE])

Powerbi.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found out the problem.

The syntax of my formula was ok, the table organization (with Index etc..) was ok too.

The problem came from a real line recorded twice that could'nt be seen in the report.

Sorry for all that!

Patrick.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I tried to format your DAX and got and error report error.PNG

SUMX(
    FILTER(
        'Table'; 'Table'[ANNEE] = EARLIER('Table'[ANNEE])
        && 'Table'[NUM MOIS]=EARLIER('Table'[NUM MOIS])
        && 'Table'[COLLABORATEURId]=EARLIER('Table'[COLLABORATEURId]);
-----> Missing ) ?
'Table'[NB JR HSITE])
When I do the formatting myself it looks like the closing parens for the FILTER function is missing

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

A ")" has to be add to my condition because I did an extract from my code. But It is not the problem =>

SUMX(FILTER('Table'; 'Table'[ANNEE] = EARLIER('Table'[ANNEE]) && 'Table'[NUM MOIS]=EARLIER('Table'[NUM MOIS]) && 'Table'[COLLABORATEURId]=EARLIER('Table'[COLLABORATEURId]);'Table'[NB JR HSITE]))

here is a bigger screen firts =>

Powerbi.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for asking.... but what's the reason for the EARLIER function in your measure? Would you mind explaining it?

As much as I know, EARLIER should be used only when there are at least 2 row contexts present at the same time. In your formula I can't see there being 2 different row contexts...

Thanks.

Best
D

I don't understand what you are saying about two "differents row contexts".

SUMX(FILTER('Table'; 'Table'[ANNEE] = EARLIER('Table'[ANNEE]) && 'Table'[NUM MOIS]=EARLIER('Table'[NUM MOIS]) && 'Table'[COLLABORATEURId]=EARLIER('Table'[COLLABORATEURId]);'Table'[NB JR HSITE]))

I'm just trying to sum some days (NB JR HSITE) in relation with different criterias. The output is OK for the fist rows of the table and become wrong (twice wrong) for one row of the table.

Just a remark, I'tried to change with a new formula CALCULAT/SUM/ALL/ FILTER and the problem is the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does you model contain only one big fact table?

Best
D

My formula adress only one Table "Activites mensuelles" as shown underneath.

Note that I don't understand your word "fact".

Powerbi.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. To make correct calculations in all circumstances, you have to know what a good and correct model is.

To this end, please watch the following first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78d6mwR8GtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quTwyvDfG0

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/time-intelligence-in-microsoft-power-bi/

Afterwards, please create correct dimensions and fact tables (one big table is not a model, it's a sure way to fail). Connect them in the right way, hide all columns in the fact table(s), all IDs in dimensions and helper columns and then and only then can you start writing simple and correct measures against a good, robust model.

If you ignore this advice, be prepared for some nasty bugs that you will not be able to troubleshoot, not to mention understand or even spot.

You've been warned.

Best
D

The problem comes from a lack of index indeed, Thank  you. When I add my new index at beginning of the key fields of my Matrix report the filter works fine. There is no value computed twice. But when I do that my Matrix report is no way because I want to be able to navigate from year, to month number, to customer, to project and to employee from the left panel of the report as you can see underneath. I could manage a new index with all those fields but I will not be able to navigate. What can I do..?

Powerbi.png

Hello

Please, Can somebody ask to my previous message?

Thanks.

I found out the problem.

The syntax of my formula was ok, the table organization (with Index etc..) was ok too.

The problem came from a real line recorded twice that could'nt be seen in the report.

Sorry for all that!

Patrick.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PatrickByGecko ,

I'm not able to read through the screenshot you provided, maybe you can provide a pbix file that contains sample data, upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link.

Nevertheless, you have to be aware that the issue you describe can occur when the table, that is returned by the FILTER statement, contains more than one row, check your filter statement.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.