Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Cbishop
Frequent Visitor

SUM function issue with referencing columns

Hi all,

I have created the following measure in my report

ERF Lower Threshold Achievement = if('Measure Table'[ERF Actuals]>('Measure Table'[ERF Baseline]*0.7),if('Measure Table'[ERF Actuals]<('Measure Table'[ERF Baseline]*0.85),'Measure Table'[ERF Actuals]-('Measure Table'[ERF Baseline]*0.7),('Measure Table'[ERF Baseline]*0.85)-('Measure Table'[ERF Baseline]*0.7)),0)

However, I need to be able to change the *0.7 based on the following values which are month related

April = 0.7
May = 0.75
June = 0.8
July to March = 0.85

These values are in a column but when I try to reference this column in the formula I get the 'sum function only accepts a column reference' error

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Cbishop 

Does it mean to use different multipliers according to different months?

Create an auxiliary table that contains the baseline values for all months.
Then use the month to establish a one-to-many relationship with the previous table, and use the RELATED function to create a new column. So you can use the sum function to refer to the new column.

vangzhengmsft_0-1624864784770.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Cbishop 

Does it mean to use different multipliers according to different months?

Create an auxiliary table that contains the baseline values for all months.
Then use the month to establish a one-to-many relationship with the previous table, and use the RELATED function to create a new column. So you can use the sum function to refer to the new column.

vangzhengmsft_0-1624864784770.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Cbishop ,

try to save the values in a variable before. That should solve your issue.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

hi selimovd,

many thanks for the response, however, I don't think this will work.

I believe you are referring to setting the values as a slicer and then using selectedvalue function

This would work when only looking at a specific month and making sure the correct value is selected within the slicer, however, when looking at the result of this calculation on a year to date basis I still need the months to be calculated using the correct month value

Thanks

Craig

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.