Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

SQL Server connection preview

The data source is local.  It is not a widely known business application but it is Windows based and they state that it is platformed on SQL Server (though not yet known what vintage of SQL).

It is my presumption that PBI will be able to connect to the tables.

Is this a safe assumption?  Any 'gotchas' out there that others have run into in this same scenario?

www.CahabaData.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@CahabaData Can you connect to any SQL version - yes. But that would be for "import" only, I believe... I can't find the reference but I'm fairly certain you would need to be on SQL 2008r2 in order to use Direct Query... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@CahabaData Can you connect to any SQL version - yes. But that would be for "import" only, I believe... I can't find the reference but I'm fairly certain you would need to be on SQL 2008r2 in order to use Direct Query... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

thanks Eno....  good point - wasn't planning any need for Direct Query but good to keep in mind.... 

I guess my inquiry comes from prior experience (not with PBI) that ODBC, like Baskin Robbins, comes in lots of flavors - and some times you can't link to a db's table because the right flavor of drivers don't seem to exist....   so was just kind of checking around ....

I feel pretty safe in knowing it is at least Microsoft's SQL Server rather than some obscure SQL brand....but still....could be a pretty early vintage - not yet sure....

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.