Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jconte12
Frequent Visitor

Row level Division based on a % share of two columns

Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem in power bi that i was able to solve in Excel fairly simply. I have 3 columns in my data --

1) last 12 months sales

2) Total Market Sales

3) Item Category

I created the following measure to evaluate my revenue share in the overal market: 

PY TTS Share = (SUM(NRG_DP_JOIN_3_BB[PY_TTS_REVENUE])/SUM(NRG_DP_JOIN_3_BB[PY_TTL_MKT_REVENUE])), which gets me a market share of ~36%. I've created a breakdown of my market share by each Item Category
PY Category Sales = SUM(NRG_DP_JOIN_3_BB[PY_TTS_REVENUE])
What I want to do is take the market share of each of my categories and subtract it from the ~36% to see if there is any opportunity for growth in a specific category, EG. Sneakers category market share was 12%. if I were to subtract 12% from 36% I would have 24% share opportunity.

Let me know if you need more clarification. I've been spinning my wheels unfortunately 😕
3 REPLIES 3
jconte12
Frequent Visitor

jconte12_1-1641578957510.png

Here is a sample of the data. So I want to be able to see what our Total market share is (12% in image). I would like to keep this as a static measure. Then I would like create a new measure that uses the static measure and if my company's market share for a particular category is less than my companies total market share (12%), I would subtract 12% from the market share in that category. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assume you have the following table named "MS".

sreenathv_0-1641725774735.png

Write the following measures:

PYR = SUMX(MS,MS[TTS PY Revenue])
MR = SUMX(MS,MS[TTL Market Revenue])
Market Share = DIVIDE([PYR],[MR],0)
Opportunity = 
VAR CategoryShare = [Market Share]
VAR TotalMarketShare = CALCULATE([Market Share],ALL(MS[Category]))
VAR Result = MAX(TotalMarketShare-CategoryShare,0)
RETURN if(Result>0,Result,BLANK())

This will give the following result.

sreenathv_1-1641725898089.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is fairly simple. But need to know your actual table structure and field names. Please post the table structure, field names, and some sample data here. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.