Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JMccoy92
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security In Desktop

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to implement RLS and running into an issue that has me stumped me. Seems like the Microsoft documentation is not up to date. 

Following the steps listed below says after I am done configuring in desktop, I need to go into the service and assign users those roles. The documentation clear as day states, "You can't assign users to a role within Power BI Desktop. You assign them in the Power BI service.". When following those steps I get the following popup. See screen shot below. I then click Learn more and it takes me directly to the documentation I was already following, the one that says you cannot assign users to a role within Power Bi Desktop, I very confused can someone please help me. 

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

JMccoy92_0-1635368247660.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMccoy92 

Did you define roles in Power BI desktop? Have you checked those roles again after faced with this error?

Can you make sure all roles are defiend well on power bi desktop and then publish thath again and try to add users?

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMccoy92,

So just to confirm...

• You've setup row level security in your PBIX file.
  • Published to a workspace.
  • Clicked on the three dots next to the dataset in the service and gone to 'security'.

KNP_0-1635371025005.png

• And you don't get a screen that looks like this?

KNP_1-1635371082339.png

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMccoy92 

Did you define roles in Power BI desktop? Have you checked those roles again after faced with this error?

Can you make sure all roles are defiend well on power bi desktop and then publish thath again and try to add users?

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Just one of those days, thank you.... 

speedramps
Super User
Super User

You need Row Level security ...

Click here 

Remember we are BI community voluntrees so please click the thumbs-up for me taking the trouble to help you and then accept the solution if it works.  Thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.