Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing middle name from a name field column with comma delimiter

I am a newbie to Power BI and trying to work out a solution for a scenario where I have got a column with name displayed in the format Lastname, first name, middle name. I need the first name concatenated with the last name with space in between. I tried a couple of options in string extraction but couldn't find anything that handles the scenario. Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks

Sample Data -
Bray, John L
Ashmore, Gavin L

Required Output
- John Bray
- Gavin Ashmore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you open the query under Home > Edit Queries you can add some additional steps.

1. Replace , with nothing

2. Split the column by delimiter (space)

3. Add a column that combines First Name & " " & Last Name

4. Delete the old name fields

NameFix.jpg

Here is the code from the Advanced Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcipKrNRR8MrPyFPwUYrViVZyLM7IzS9K1VFwTyzLBAvGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",",","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Name", each [Column1.1] & " " & [Column1.2])
in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor, use the Column by Examples feature.  It works very well on your data.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Ashish_Mathur . It worked in most of the cases and noted that for every name I need to provide an example, I might need to explore a bit more on how to use that feature. Thanks for the alternative suggestion.

You are welcome.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you open the query under Home > Edit Queries you can add some additional steps.

1. Replace , with nothing

2. Split the column by delimiter (space)

3. Add a column that combines First Name & " " & Last Name

4. Delete the old name fields

NameFix.jpg

Here is the code from the Advanced Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcipKrNRR8MrPyFPwUYrViVZyLM7IzS9K1VFwTyzLBAvGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",",","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Name", each [Column1.1] & " " & [Column1.2])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, heaps this worked.

I really appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.