Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

stsok
Frequent Visitor

Removing line breaks in line chart when data is a DAX measure COUNTROWS()

I'm using a DAX measure for the red line in the image below and want to figure out how to make the red line continuous (show 0):

Screenshot 2024-01-29 130612.png

Context:

The red line represents the number of issues created in a Kanban board on a specific date. On the X-axis, there are two time-related variables (milestones and date hierarchy). The DAX measure I'm using for the red line (Y-axis) is as follows:

Issues Created =
COUNTROWS(
FILTER(
Dataset,
Dataset[IssueAction] = "created"
)
)

Essentially, this DAX measure counts occurrences in the 'IssueAction' column that match 'created'. The line break occurs when I select certain categories in the slicers (e.g., specific departments). My stakeholders want this line to appear continuous.

How can I configure the plot to show zero when there are no occurrences, or is this an impossible task?

Unlike the solutions in other posts on this forum, I can't convert the y-axis to "categorical" because it's already continuous (I don't even have the option to convert).

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for several days, but I couldn't figure it out.

Could someone help me with this? I appreciate your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@stsok 

you can modify your code as the below logic

var t =  TREATAS(values(dimdate[Date]) ,  'Table'[Date])
return
IF(
    not ISEMPTY( t ),
CALCULATE(
    COALESCE(SUM('Table'[sales]),0)    
)
)

summary ; 
the code will check if the date exists in your fact table, (base on your slicer date selection ) 

if exists , it will return the value and  0  in case of blank ,

if the date does not exist, it will return blank  ,which in turn power bi will not show the row for it, 

let me know if it works for you .

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution !
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

To report on something that isn't there you need a disconnected table feeding your x axis.

Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

Hello @stsok 

Daniel29195_0-1706566587141.png

use this  measure : 

measure =  coalesce ( [measure] , 0 ) 

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution !
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

Thank you for your response. I implemented your suggestion, but now I'm encountering a new issue where all the years are being repeated for each milestone.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 143847.png

When I utilize only COUNTROWS(), this issue doesn't arise (original view provided below).

Screenshot 2024-01-29 144224.png

I believe the challenge lies in the necessity for two separate x-axes on the chart.

Is there a method to incorporate COALESCE() while preserving the order of both x-axes?

@stsok 

you can modify your code as the below logic

var t =  TREATAS(values(dimdate[Date]) ,  'Table'[Date])
return
IF(
    not ISEMPTY( t ),
CALCULATE(
    COALESCE(SUM('Table'[sales]),0)    
)
)

summary ; 
the code will check if the date exists in your fact table, (base on your slicer date selection ) 

if exists , it will return the value and  0  in case of blank ,

if the date does not exist, it will return blank  ,which in turn power bi will not show the row for it, 

let me know if it works for you .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.