Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

8shipsbynight
Helper I
Helper I

Relevant Values Only Slicer

Hello,

I have created a Line chart in BI that is showing the bottom 15 companies and their revenue over time. To do this, I created the chart and then used a filter: 

Capture23.JPG

I would like to use a visual slicer on the page that only shows the Bottom 15 companies that are being filtered. Currently, if I add a slicer to the page I see hundreds of companies that are not relevant to my chart.

Is there a way to do this? I have used other BI tools that made this pretty easy, but I can't quite figure it out in PowerBI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@8shipsbynight you can add visual level fitler for slicer visual similar to bottom 15 and it will show only those companies as of your line chart.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@8shipsbynight you can add visual level fitler for slicer visual similar to bottom 15 and it will show only those companies as of your line chart.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Ah - I see. That's easy enough when filtering on Top N. 

However, I am a critical of this solution in the event that someone uses multiple filters on several columns within a data set. It would be very redundant to recreate the same amount of visual level filters.

Any idea how to only show relevant values for a given slicer when multiple columns are filtered upon in a data set?

@8shipsbynight you probably have to create calculated column using business logic and then use page level filters. Like in this case you can use RANKX function and get bottom 15 and use that column for page level filter.

Thanks @parry2k ! Once I get a bit more advanced in my dashboards, I'll have to revisit this thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.