Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

simonka0808

Relationships

Hello everyone.

I am working on a small project using powerbi. I have 4 small tables from where I am getting data for my graphs. I created another table called Countries with the values - Netherlands and Finland. The Countries table has a relationship with the other 4 tables. However, I would like to implement a second slicer containing Year. When I try to create a relationship between my Date table with the others I am getting an error.

Can you please help me to resolve that issue or give me an alternative solution how can I apply year filter on the page.

simonka0808_0-1670367867438.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Right, so there's the evidence.  All the relationships are 'both' directions.

See my previous answer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Right, so there's the evidence.  All the relationships are 'both' directions.

See my previous answer.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

The error is 'ambiguity between Date and Countries'    so that means there would be 2 paths for powerbi to traverse between these 2 tables.  This is not allowed.

I can't suggest any complete fixes without seeing the diagram but it does suggest you don't have a star schema with dimension tables filtering fact tables.

Here is a photo of the diagram.

simonka0808_0-1670415552957.png

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @simonka0808 

According to your description,  "When I try to create a relationship between my Date table with the others I am getting an error.". Right?

There are several possible situations for your problem that you need to check:

(1)First of all, whether your Date Table is a compliant date table and whether it was generated using the CALENDAR() function.

(2)Whether the relationship is related using the [Date] field in the date table when creating the relationship.

(3)Check whether the associated date fields are all of type Date type.

If none of the above is satisfied, you can provide the following error message, or provide us with your .pbix file (delete sensitive data).

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Sent you a private message.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

"When I try to create a relationship between my Date table with the others I am getting an error."  - what's the error?

and can you show us the model diagram please

Sent you a private message explaining the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.