Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Stan

Relationships with multiple look up tables

I am retrieving data from SQL Server (2016).

A simple table I have has the results from a small table that may have values in a second huge table.

I could retrieve the values from a view or even my writing the SQL however I am trying to keep away from those methods and use 'pure' power BI.

The problem is that even though there is a relationship created between the small table and the big table, when I do the refresh data, it attempts to pull all the data from both tables.

Lets assume the following

Little table

cs_id [int]

cp_id [FK]

Big table

cp_id

data

The actual relationship between little and big is a many to 1 - ie a single record in big_table can have multiple records in little table pointing to it.

SO I do a get data and specify the two tables.

And.................

It pulls in all the data from little table (expected and desirable) and then goes to try to pull all the data from big table - which is a bad thing.

Obviously if I was writing SQL I would just do a join on the two tables via cp_id and all would be wonderfull.

Have I missed something when I did the get_data 

Stan (still learning)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stan

FOund my answer - select small table and merge query!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Stan

FOund my answer - select small table and merge query!

@Stan,

Glad to hear the issue is solved, you can accept your reply as answer to close this  thread.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
OCT PBI Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - October 2024

Check out the October 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Sept NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - September 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.