Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Promethes_2
Helper II
Helper II

Relationship Filtering Error Question

Hello,

Can someone help me understand why I am receiving this error message?

1.png

I am a little confused on why it says "Calendar by Sales Person" when I don't have any relationships between Calendar and Sales Person?

2.png

Here is the full model:

3.png

I was playing around with BOTH filtering and setting BOTH on the Sales Persons table. I could set BOTH on 1 relationship but trying to add it to another relationship errored out.  The part I am mostly trying to understand is where the error message is picking up the relationship between the Calendar and Sales Persons based on the model?

Additionally, I thought I could filter both ways based on the existing relationship, but clearly I can't.  I was hoping to get a little clarity on that as well.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Promethes_2,

Did the error message prompt when you create relationships between tables or make any other operations like create measures? 

Based on my understanding, you have created relationships between Calendar and some corresponding tables, for example Invoiced Sales Orders, also, there existing a relationship between Invoiced Sales Orders and Sales Persons, so it will create an indirect relationship between Calendar and Sales Orders.

For more detailed introduction about Cross Filter Direction, please refer to: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The error occurs during the relationship definition and setting the filtering to BOTH.

There is a relationship between Calenar and the Invoiced Sales Orders table based on date. However, the part that I'm not clear on is why this is impacting the relationship between Sales Person and the Invoiced Sales Orders table.

My thinking was that if I set filtering to BOTH on the relationship between Sales Persons and Invoiced Sales Orders table, when I filtered a specific sales person those assocaited transactions would follow (and yes calendar dates).

I understand there is a relationship between the Invoiced Sales Orders table and Calendar table based on date, but still do not follow why this interferes with a BOTH filter on the Sales Person and Invoiced Sales Orders.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Promethes_2 could you post your data model so we can help investigate further? I'm not able to see any error from your screenshot.

Apologies I wasn't more clear.

When I try to change the existing filter direction in the relationship on any of the following relationsihps from the 2nd screenshot:

Invoiced Sales Orders and Sales Person               single  -- If i change to BOTH filter direction no error

Invoiced Service Orders and Sales Person            single  -- If I also change to both ERROR occurs (1st screenshot)

Open Sales Orders and Sales Person                    single

Open Service Orders and Sales Person                 single

From a SINGLE cros filter direction to a BOTH cross filter direction the 1st screen shot error occurs.  I can change one of the relationships listed above to BOTH, but I cannot change all four to BOTH (the error occurs when I try to change to BOTH on the second relationship).

I'm really just interested in learning the why. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.