Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stribor45
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Relation between report in Power BI Desktop

I am curious to know following. When I create the query which pulls the data in my Power BI Desktop and generate say one chart I save this PBIX file on my desktop. After I publish this report to Power BI Service I see exactly same file as it is saved on my desktop but if i edit this in Power BI Service those changes dont reflect the file on my desktop. Can someone explain how this work or point me somewhere where this is explained. During this process when does the dataset gets created?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes.
Plese see an attached picture .

Ritaf1983_0-1680526311799.png

The following is taken from the Microsoft document at the following link:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-dashboard-tiles
If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos and accept as a Solution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @stribor45 .
Once the PBIX file is published, there is no connection between it and the service report or data set.
It is best practice to edit your PBIX file and republish it once you have made the changes.
Everything related to development is done on the desktop, and Service is a platform for sharing and reading
If you still want to add changes to the report through the service, you can download it as a PBIX file (See the attached image below). Save it as a file that will be associated with the report from the moment it is executed.

Ritaf1983_0-1680325031110.png

Here is more information about best practices:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-best-practices.

When you say Service is a platform for sharing and viewing it how come I can edit it? At what point in this process dataset get created?

This depends on what you mean by updating a data set.

Basically, if you are creating a report for your own use only, you can leave it on the desktop.
A Service allows you to share reports with others.

If you mean a change that you want to initiate (a measure, column, table for data has been expanded, permanent visual changes, etc...) then a PBIX file is acceptable.
When you have made changes to your desktop PBIX file, you need to reshare your PBIX file to Service.
The term "update" refers to refreshing the data as a result of a change in the source of the data.
You have added orders to an order table, for example.
Depending on the type of data source, this is a refresh operation that needs to be defined in the service.

Visit the following link for more information:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

I just changed the chart bar colors in my report (PBIX file) using my Power BI Desktop. After I saved the file I published it to the service and I can see these changes so this is good. 

I went to see if the chart colors are updated on the dashboard and it is not.  How does the tile get updated? I tried to refresh it using the "refresh visual" see attached but that didn't do anything. I also tried to refresh the page but no luck.  I know I can just remove the tile and repin it again but I am curious as to why the update didn't take the place.

stribor45_0-1680478733050.png

Thanks

The only way to update a tile you changed is to remove it and repin it. The icon that appears on your picture as F5 updates the Data (not the visual changes).

so are you saying that the tile on the dashboard if the visual change needs to be repinned but if it is only a data update it can be refreshed?

Yes.
Plese see an attached picture .

Ritaf1983_0-1680526311799.png

The following is taken from the Microsoft document at the following link:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-dashboard-tiles

AbbasG
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@stribor45 Hi when you make changes in your report in Power BI service,  it will not reflect in your existing Power BI desktop file. You need to download the updated file from Power BI service to see the changes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.