Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

johnwrite
Frequent Visitor

Refresh dashboard based on current fiscal year and fiscal period

Hi ,

I have multiple tables with data in my report which has different fiscal period and year values . I would like to have my dashboard show only the data of current fiscal year and period for each visualization . Our fiscal year starts from July 1st and ends on June 30 . Also it will be good if i can see the heading of each tile updated with current fiscal year and period values every month automatically

Thanks,

John

3 REPLIES 3
richbenmintz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi John,

you can do a couple of things:

1. create measures that are sensitive to the current date and use them in your dashboard tiles. when the datasets refresh the tiles will reflect the correct value.

2. In your date dimension you can create a current fiscal year column and current fiscal month column, the column values would be derived a query time to assign true for the currrent year and period and false for the rest. Then you can filter your report to only show the current fiscal and individual visuals to show the current month. when you pin the tiles to your dashboard the filter will be set and each refresh will provide the must up to date value.

3. for the current fiscal date and year labels, you can create measures that display the value of the current year and month, with a formula like: period=if(hasonevalue(date[fiscal period]), calcuate(values(date[fiscal period]), date[currentfiscalperiod] = true()) and then create a visual that displas the value, like a card

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @richbenmintz

Thanks for the info . I created a date dimension and made current fiscal year and period columns . Problem is how can i link these columns to the fiscal period and year columns present in other tables. ? . I tried creating relationships but facing some issues .

Hi John,

you link the date to fact table. which will aloow you to filter. if you imagine it like a sql query it would be:

select sum(value) from fact a

join date b on a.datekey = b.datekey

where b.iscurrentyear = 1

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.