Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brodyleon
Regular Visitor

Refresh PBI using Smartsheet > Power Automate

I am trying to refresh my dataset using a button thru Power Automate.  My data lives in Smartsheet and my teams are looking to have a button to manually refresh the data rather than wait for the scheduled refreshs.  Scheduled refreshs work perfectly, but I cant seem to figure out how to get the flow in Power Automate correct.  My flows run successfully, but they are not refreshing the data, similar to how the REFRESH button in PBI desktop works.  Below is a screenshow of my flow.

brodyleon_0-1658497239533.png

Does anyone have experience using Power Automate to refresh the data which resides in Smartsheet?  It seems like a very simple flow, but there seems to be a step I am missing here.

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @brodyleon ,

According to your description, when the refresh process is configured in Power Automate, you can go ahead and configure a button that can be used to manually start the refresh function.

vhenrykmstf_0-1658912495425.png

For more details, you can refer to below blog:

How To Use Power Automate To Refresh Data In Power BI (enterprisedna.co)

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Henry - 

This is the exact process which I followed.  This is unfortunately not working.  The flow runs successfully, but the flow is missing a step, which I am not sure exists......

The flow described in the link you posted is updating the dataset ONLY - not the visual.  Therefore, I am also not receiving any error messages - the flow runs successfully.  Need to find a way to update the visual in the report.....

Its frustrating because when you click the refresh button in PBI desktop, everything updates immediately everytime.....

brodyleon
Regular Visitor

There are no via API requests on the request refresh history on the dataset, unfortunately. I am looking into Postman/Powershell but I am really trying to make this work with a button so that my users can initiate the refresh on their end.......

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

the flow looks ok.  Check the refresh history on the dataset.  Do you see any "via API"  requests?  What happens if you call the request refresh via Postman or Powershell?

Note:  This is not a good UX. Upon pressing the button the user has no feedback whatsoever if the request was placed successfully, and they have no idea if it is being processed or if and when it completes. It's like yelling into a pillow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.