Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Rank calculation

Hello,

I am trying to calculate rank across regions (excluding total region to get region rank) and specifically to a Product category. My formula is showing me the same rank across all regions and US Region data is also populating which shouldn't't be populating.

Can you help me identify issue in my DAX code.

Below is my code.

ShrChgProA = SUM(DataTbl[Shr Chg Prod A])

RankExcludingUSRegionProdA =
VAR SelectedData =
    FILTER(
        'DataTbl',
        'DataTbl'[Geography] IN {"East Region", "West Region", "North Region", "Central Region"} &&
        'DataTbl'[Product] = "Prod A"
    )
RETURN
    RANKX(
        SelectedData,
        [ShrChgProA],
        DESC,
        Dense
    )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

hI @Siddharth_2987 ,

Since there is no filter modifier on Geography, RANKX is evaluated for each distinct value in Geographyinstead against all distinct values.

Rank2 =
VAR __REGIONS = { "East Region", "West Region", "North Region", "Central Region" }
RETURN
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( DataTbl[Geography] )
            IN __REGIONS --rank will still show for US so a conditional statement needs to handle this. 
                && ISINSCOPE ( DataTbl[Geography] ),
        --to remove rank from the total
        RANKX (
            FILTER ( ALL ( DataTbl[Geography] ), DataTbl[Geography] IN __REGIONS ),
            CALCULATE ( [ShrChgProA], KEEPFILTERS ( DataTbl[Product] = "Prod A" ) )
        )
    )

danextian_0-1716380946515.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@danextian  Can you help me in the custom sorting region? As of now, it is appearing in Alphabetical order. I

am trying to get results as below. I have created new sort table and than sort by region order. But by doing this my rank is not populating. Can you guide me?

Sort Sequence.PNG

Hi @Siddharth_2987 ,

That is the expected behaviour of RANKX if applied to a column that's been sorted by another column. You can just include the sort column in your RANKX table

ALL ( DataTbl[Geography], DataTbl[Sort] )

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

@danextianI am unable to connect how DataTbl[Sort] can understand the sequence I am looking for? Can you show me output?

Here is the complete measure.  Replace sort with the correct column.  If this doesn't work, please post your updated pbix.

Rank2 =
VAR __REGIONS = { "East Region", "West Region", "North Region", "Central Region" }
RETURN
    IF (
            IN __REGIONS --rank will still show for US so a conditional statement needs to handle this. 
        RANKX (
            FILTER ( ALL ( DataTbl[Geography], DataTbl[Sort] ), DataTbl[Geography] IN __REGIONS ),
        )
    )

@danextian 

I am not sure if I can have a data sort table in the same DataTbl model. I have created a new GeoSortOrder model to sort my region. Can you guide me on how to sort my data?

If you have guided me with the outcome, it will be more supportive.

I am attaching pbix file for your reference.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/BzqyRCwQmP 

Hi @Siddharth_2987 ,

You didn't use the the column from the separate Geo table. Custom sorts do not flow from a table to another.  Also, you need to reference the column used in the visual in RANKX or you will either not see   a rank or the result is incorrect.

danextian_1-1716446664921.png

danextian
Super User
Super User

hI @Siddharth_2987 ,

Since there is no filter modifier on Geography, RANKX is evaluated for each distinct value in Geographyinstead against all distinct values.

Rank2 =
RETURN
    IF (
        RANKX (
            FILTER ( ALL ( DataTbl[Geography] ), DataTbl[Geography] IN __REGIONS ),
        )
    )

danextian_0-1716380946515.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.