Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

REVISED QUESTION: Filtering issues in column

Original: Need to create a calculated column that says this:

Shipping charges = IF this "lineItemcolumn" contains "shipping", then give value of this "lineItemAppliedAmount". 

No matter how I try to do it - there seems to be a conflict with using text as the filter to display an integer...

Any help or leads in this area would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂 

REVISED 3.10.16:

I have a bigger issue than orginally stated. 

I'm creating a report from invoices. With the program we use (unfortunately) the shipping charges are listed as an line item. My original thought was to create a calculated column and isolate the shipping charges... my original approach is not working. 

This is what I'm trying to do.

1. item
  2. invoice #
  3. invoiced amount
  4. shipping charge (as a SEPARATE column) - when I try to isolate it by filtering it out or putting it into a different column in throws off the entire report and EVERYTHING is filtered by the shipping. I need it be listed as a separate column 
  5. Unit price (for each item)

Because shipping charges is a line item - it's causing issues. Any ideas whatsoever??? Smiley Sad

~heathernicoale
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

There must be blanks in the line item column then.

In this case you need to wrap your formula in the custom column in a "try ... otherwise".

So it looks like this:

try if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount" otherwise "InvoicedAmount"

This will also allocate the Invoiced Amount if the column is blank

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

very strange.

M is case sensitive - so does "shipping" actually match your text or should it be "Shipping" instead?

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

another check would be to use this code in the custom column instead:

= try if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount" otherwise "AllWrong"

Then check in how the pivot looks: Do all numbers show up in "AllWrong"? Then sth in the Text.Contains - expression is completely wrong.

28 REPLIES 28
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Looks like now there's no way around M any more 🙂

Not sure if I got your table structure and requirement correctly, so please have a look at the file and let me know if/where things need to be changed. The code works the same in Power BI then.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Agreed - 

This file seems to show what I'm needing to do . And yes, you have the basic idea of the table structure. There's about 30 more fields but that's definitely it. 

You used the code you posted earlier to do this?

~heathernicoale

Almost - a little modification and an additional step:

let
    Source = ...,
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,....),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Shipping", each if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[Shipping]), "Shipping", "lineItemAppliedAmount")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Here's as far as I get...

M script for shipping.JPG

I don't think I'm inserting it right. Trying to research how utilized M in Power BI to try and get a better understanding. Unfortunately my deadline comes a lot faster than my M ability... 🙂 

~heathernicoale

Yes, you're entering the full code in the editor-window of the "Add-custom-column-step" instead of the advanced query editor.

But we can work from here as well - might be easier now.

In this case you just have to paste in this:

= if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount"

click OK and then perform the last step:

check column: "Shipping",

then: Transform - Any Column - Pivot Column -

Choose: your column "lineItemAppliedAmount" in "Values Column"

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Getting closer... 🙂 

I got an error: 

M Error.JPG

And I found an answer on stackoverflow  but I'm researching on exactly what it means and how I need to fix it. 

~heathernicoale

There must be blanks in the line item column then.

In this case you need to wrap your formula in the custom column in a "try ... otherwise".

So it looks like this:

try if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount" otherwise "InvoicedAmount"

This will also allocate the Invoiced Amount if the column is blank

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Alright. 

It's SO close...

The figures show up in the InvoicedAmount Column and nothing in the shipping column...

I still hasn't completely split the shipping column into itself yet... I need to see only the shipping charges in the shipping column and right now there's nothing. And Invoiced amount has all the items.

Working with it...

~heathernicoale

very strange.

M is case sensitive - so does "shipping" actually match your text or should it be "Shipping" instead?

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That did it!! 😄 

High Five!!*

~heathernicoale

another check would be to use this code in the custom column instead:

= try if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then "shipping" else "InvoicedAmount" otherwise "AllWrong"

Then check in how the pivot looks: Do all numbers show up in "AllWrong"? Then sth in the Text.Contains - expression is completely wrong.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Now ... I want to make sure I understand exactly WHY that worked and what that little code did. 

I've never used pivot columns before. 

Can you give a breakdown of what we did - in layman's terms?

I think I know but I want to make sure I understand. I'm sure I'll have to do something similar to this many times over. 

~heathernicoale

Have a look at this nice article that shows what pivot in Power Query actually does: http://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2013/11/25/pivoting-data-in-power-query/

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think we've got it!!!! 😄 : D 😄 😄 😄 😄 

I'm double checking my figures to make sure it's right... but I think we've got it!!

I could hug you right now!!!

I'll get back with you!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~heathernicoale
heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Alright, cool beans. 

I also think I'm trying to put this code in the wrong place. Will keep you posted...

Thanks! 🙂 

~heathernicoale

in the advanced editor:

In Query Editor: Home -> Query -> Advanced Editor

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Instead of creating a calculated column using DAX I recommend to create a custom column in the query editor using M.

Always.

?

Because it compresses better, has a richer library function and is easier to write in most of the cases.

You can add a custom column using the UID and then you have to type in the condition (red). The full code for this step would look like this at the end:

ShippingCharges = Table.AddColumn(#"PreviousStep", "ShippingCharges", each if Text.Contains([lineItemcolumn], "shipping") then [lineItemAppliedAmount] else "")

Make sure your columns are formatted correctly before applying this step.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What does the #"previous step" mean??

~heathernicoale

That should be the name of the previous step in your query.

If you paste the code of the table to adjust here, I can stitch it together for you.

Get code like this: In Query Editor: Home -> Query -> Advanced Editor

Check all and copy

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

it's giving an error for what I tried - it's on a separate computer, so I can't copy and paste.

Here's the code:

Shipping Charges = Table.AddColumn(#"PreviousStep", "ShippingCharges", each if Text.Contains([Sales Line Item Description]. "shipping") then [Sales Line Item Sales Amount] else 0)

The Table I'm trying to put it in is called Sales Details

~heathernicoale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.