Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

qd96xuweifeng
Regular Visitor

Question about how to use field in DAX

Hello,

I encountered one challenge on my power BI report design recently, could anyone please advise on it?

My source summary table looks as below, but is with very large size.

ym_id

DIGIT_USER

MOB_USER

lndg_tot_bal

bcn_scr

customer

1. YM_ID: This is a month indicator.
  2. Segments Variables: There are around 33 distinct segments variables, and all of them are with binary values (“Yes” or “No”). Two samples are listed below:
    • Digit_User: Indicator of digital devices (Both Cell phone and computer) user.
    • MOB_User: Indicator of mobile device (Cell Phone) user.
  3. Attributes Variables: There are more than 30 distinct attributes variables, and most of them are with numerical values. Three samples are listed below:
    • lndg_tot_bal: Total sum of lending balance within these specifical categories.
    • MOB_User: Total sum of beacon score within these specifical categories.
    • Customer: number of customer within these specifical categories.

I have generated around 30 new measurements based on those attributes variables, and two examples are as below:

• Average_Beacon_Score = divide(sum(table[bcn_scr]),sum(table[customer]))
  • Average_Lending_Balance = divide(sum(table[lndg_tot_bal]),sum(table[lndg_tot_bal]))

The next step, I create two fields as below to group both Segments Variables andAttributes Variables. The use the two fields to control the final matrix.

Segment fields: This is used to select the segment variable for comparison, such as selecting comparison based on “Digit_User” or “Mob_User”.

qd96xuweifeng_0-1690399285689.png

Attributes fields: This field includes all 30 different measurements from the corresponded attributes, such as “Average_Beacon_Score” and “Average_Lending_Balance”.

qd96xuweifeng_1-1690399285692.png

Based on above design, I can get a matrix as below:

• When I select two months (202212 and 202303) in the filter, I get the compare months.
  • The “Yes” and “No” values are from segment (Comparison Categories) filter which controled by Segment field, which is limited to single selection, and I select “Digtal_User” as example below.
  • The measurements attributes are selected for “Beacon score” and “Lending Balance” from attribute field in this example. I can also include the others or all of these 30 attributes.

Then I get the matrix as below with “Switch values to row” option.

qd96xuweifeng_0-1690333525869.png

So far, everything looks good. But I am struggled on creating “Level Difference” and “% difference” comparison within and without category comparison. For example, in month of 202212, if I would like to get difference of average beacon score between digital users (653.11) and non-digital user (549.88), I always failed on it. I think this can be done by DAX, but not clear how to apply DAX on fields rather than single column.

Q1: So, could anyone please help to advise if field can be used in the measurement to handle multiple attributes together? Especially how to use field in filter within the measurement?

Q2: May I know if power BI also provide some advance data transpose method? For example, I can transpose the 30 attributes variables (eg. Beacon Score & Lending Balance) by the 33 segments columns (Digit_User, MOB_User and YM_ID).

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Wayne

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.