Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Sushain_Koul
Frequent Visitor

Query regarding Date Hierarchy

Hello All,

I have a query. Pls help me out anyone.

Sushain_Koul_1-1715705478772.png

Whenever I am loading Year, Month (which are calculated columns) fields from Calendar table I am getting data exactly from the date/month from which data is available in power bi. Pls find below screenshot where the minimum date is 2nd dec 2023.

Sushain_Koul_2-1715705616703.png

But when I am using Year, Month as Date Hierarchy it shows me those dates as well which are not available in power bi. Pls see below screenshot.

Sushain_Koul_3-1715705744638.png

Can anyone pls help me with the logic thats running behind this? I am getting confused.

Thanking you guys in advance for your help.

10 REPLIES 10
ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes, that makes sense because it will assign the "+0" to all dates. One way you can overcome this is to apply a slicer so that it only shows the desired date range. 
An alternative way would be to add Time Intelligence functions to your measure - although this is a bit more complex than a simple slicer. 

I have two questions
1. Why will it assign +0 to all dates? Can u explain me the functionality pls.

2. Adding time intellignece function? Can u just show me a syntax as to how to achieve it in this dax

Campaign Values_New =
IF(FIRSTNONBLANK('Param'[Attributes],1)= "Total Adv Sales",SUMX(campaign_report,campaign_report[directRevenue]+campaign_report[indirectRevenue])+0)

Sure!

1. Based on your explanation and examples you can think of it as the following. Imagine you have the table where you don't change the blank to zero. It may look like this:
    Year  Month  Value  
    2022Jan 
    2022Feb 
    2022Mar123
    2022Apr456
    Jan and Feb have no values (they are blank/empty), so PowerBI will ignore them. However, once you change the blank to "0", it treats 0 as a "distinct value", rather than a blank. i.e. it is no longer empty. Does this make sense?
  2. There are many to pick from, and I would need to know what your desired outcome is. I'd recommend checking out this page to see which one works best for your use-case: 
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/time-intelligence-functions-dax 

Thx for your help but I'm still confused. 

Hi @Sushain_Koul ,

Can you please tell me what else you are confused about?

For your first doubt, I think that even if you don't add 0, you can add index columns when you encounter duplicate values and it can help you avoid aggregation.

vyilongmsft_0-1715751225661.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yilong-msft ,

Thanku for your response. Should I just add an index column and not add +0, Will that work perfectly?

Thanku for your explanation. I still have queries. Can u pls check your chatbox or mail as I have send u a text.

ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Is there a particular reason why you would like to use the Hierarchy over the Values (option 1 vs. option 2)?

No reason but I am just curious why they are performing differently. I wanna know why this is occuring @ExcelMonke

Basically I am trying to replace blank with 0 so I am using this dax

Campaign Values_New =
IF(FIRSTNONBLANK('Param'[Attributes],1)= "Total Adv Sales",SUMX(campaign_report,campaign_report[directRevenue]+campaign_report[indirectRevenue])+0)
When I am not using +0 the visual is working perfectly under hierarchy level but when i try to use +0 the hierarchy shows all the months which are not even in power bi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.