Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

mikey_m
Regular Visitor

Pull in Data from SOAP

Hey Guys

Not at all going to pretend that I know what I'm doing, I do not.

The sales stuff seems to show Power BI as a great analytics tool especially the capability to pull in multiple data sources. before we sign up a few users, we're testing a bit here and there.

A SQL connection seems easy enough, we know table layouts and can find data for queries etc.

However, we have several SOAP API's for systems that we use. Yes it's still used out there and many will argue black and blue which is better. We dont care, the vendors give us what we get, thats SOAP.

We've seen the thread on here - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-get-data-from-a-SOAP-WS-with-Power-BI/td-p/29040 but it's beyond our skill set.

We have been able to make some queries work via Ready API, so we're heading the right direction we think.

So: Should we keep trying to make this weird XML hybrid work? or should we look to get a SOAP to REST converter to make life easier?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mike

7 REPLIES 7
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mikey_m,

We've seen the thread on here - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-get-data-from-a-SOAP-WS-with-Power-BI/td-p/29040 but it's beyond our skill set.

We have been able to make some queries work via Ready API, so we're heading the right direction we think.

What data type do the queries return? JSON or others? And what Authentication do you use? Basic , OAuth or others?

Besides, I suggest you could use web connector in Power BI to get data which way should be easier.

For further, you could have a good look at this blog about how to get data from API with different ways. You could choose one way which is suitable for your scenario.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Today we tried the Apigee.com SOAP - REST - SOAP coud adapter, but we cannot authenticate the session through it.

We would love to use Web however (As I understand it) thats for REST and we cannot pull REST out of our API we can only pull out via SOAP.

We're simply wanting to pull tables and fields out so we can report on them.

Which Blog do you refer to?

Hi @mikey_m

I'm sorry for my mistakes.  

Hope this blog can help you.

Besides, you also could have a look at this video.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes we've seen that blog, seems to make sence if you have a service that can convert SOAP to OData.

In the meantime, SOAP does not seem supported as a default web source.

We've tried teh ZappySys - despit being able to connect to the WDSL OK, it cannot parse the data and errors out.

Can you please describe, what error you facing. ZappySys would be happy to help you to solve your error. You can open a new ticket here https://zappysys.com/support/ 

No qualitive debugging or errors created, vague.

lack of any better way of putting it, simply did not work.

Was not intuitive, no path to use quickly or easily, we simply gave up after 1/2 an hour.

We no do a direct connection from Power BI to a Datawarehouse for our application. Took all of 5 minutes to begin accessing data.

mikey_m
Regular Visitor

Anyone ???

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.