Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

themaidenmaniac
Frequent Visitor

Probably a simple one! Average over previous 12 months and filter using date slicer?

Hi guys,

Quite new to power BI and trying to come up with a basic formula. I have a dates table but cant seem to get this to work with the filters.

The idea is that you select your month from using a slicer, and it then uses the data 12 months previous to that selection to calculate the average. Here's what i thought would work so far, the sum to create the average and then a filter that selected the previous 12 months from my date table. That works fine, but if you put a date slicer on it kills it. Appreciate your guidance as i'm quite new and struggling!

I have a feeling i might have to input some code to link a slicer but i'm not sure about that. 

Test measure =
CALCULATE
(
DIVIDE
(
    SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Realised Cost Savings £]),
    SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Forecasted Cost Savings £])
),

'Date'[Calendar RelativeMonthPos] IN {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}
)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

First I would write two measures, one for Realised and one for Forcasted:

• RealisedCostSavings = SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Realised Cost Savings £])
  • ForecastedCostSavings = SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Forecasted Cost Savings £])

Then you can use some variables and your new measure to calculate the ratio.  I believe the problem you were running into is your date table was following the filter context when you picked a month becasue you had not opened it up in your measure.

Avg 12 months = 
VAR MaxDay = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR EarliestDay = EOMONTH(MaxDay,-12)+1

RETURN
    CALCULATE( DIVIDE ( [RealisedCostSavings] , [ForecastedCostSavings] , 0) ,
        FILTER( ALL ( 'Date' ),
        'Date'[Date] >= EarliestDay &&
        'Date'[Date] <= MaxDay
        )
    )

The variables return the last date you have seleted (based on your slicer) and the first day of the month 11 months ago so you get a full 12 month window then those are used to filter the date table inside the CALCULATE

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

First I would write two measures, one for Realised and one for Forcasted:

• RealisedCostSavings = SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Realised Cost Savings £])
  • ForecastedCostSavings = SUM('IT_Opex_Cost_Savings'[Forecasted Cost Savings £])

Then you can use some variables and your new measure to calculate the ratio.  I believe the problem you were running into is your date table was following the filter context when you picked a month becasue you had not opened it up in your measure.

Avg 12 months = 
VAR MaxDay = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR EarliestDay = EOMONTH(MaxDay,-12)+1

RETURN
    CALCULATE( DIVIDE ( [RealisedCostSavings] , [ForecastedCostSavings] , 0) ,
        FILTER( ALL ( 'Date' ),
        'Date'[Date] >= EarliestDay &&
        'Date'[Date] <= MaxDay
        )
    )

The variables return the last date you have seleted (based on your slicer) and the first day of the month 11 months ago so you get a full 12 month window then those are used to filter the date table inside the CALCULATE

Very kind of you sir!! Super appreciated for taking the time. I'll give that a bash and let you know how it goes! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.