Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mellan3
Frequent Visitor

Powerbi Desktop table relationships

Good Day, 

I need help with two of the tables in my powerbi. 

Context: 
We have 2 x tables (APBL & Syncro) containing similar data. 

These tables should each contain a Jobnumber (APBL) and an OrderNumber (Syncro) and these two numbers should match. 

Within these tables each Job / Order number should contain multiple part numbers as well as their quantities. 

i want to compare the data within these tabels to see if there might be a mismatch between the partnumbers & the quantities of these tables numbers. However, i am unable to make a connection between the Jobnumber (in the APBL table) and Order number (in the Syncro table)

I have tried to link the two tables to eachother with the model view - but non of the options seems to work as neither table contains unique keys. 

what i want to accomplish: 
- i want to see that in the APBL table we have job number 123456 that contains 15 parts and in the syncro table the same order number either has the same amount of parts or not. 

see screenshot of sample data: 

APBL:

Mellan3_0-1692879440848.png

Syncro: 

Mellan3_1-1692879507774.png

I would really appreciate some quidence or help with this. 

thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Mellan3 

Why don't you create a Dimension table? Maybe there is already one available on the database? If not in Power Query you could make duplicates of both tables remove all columns except the JobNumber in both tables append them together and remove duplicates

Load the data into your report. Create a one to many  relationship from the DIM table to both tables on the JobNumber. If you have a DIM date table , you can create a Relationship similar to the othe rtable and you can then filter by date and create time intelligence measures also

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Mellan3 

Why don't you create a Dimension table? Maybe there is already one available on the database? If not in Power Query you could make duplicates of both tables remove all columns except the JobNumber in both tables append them together and remove duplicates

Load the data into your report. Create a one to many  relationship from the DIM table to both tables on the JobNumber. If you have a DIM date table , you can create a Relationship similar to the othe rtable and you can then filter by date and create time intelligence measures also

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.