Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

PowerPivot before loading PowerBI

I am planning to divide some tasks:

I wanted to simplify or format the raw source files using power pivot but I have yet to identify which measures are required to be done in PowerBI but I'm still trying to figure that out.

My question is: Is there any difference with PowerPivot DAX and PowerBI DAX?

I'm asking because I don't have any background with PowerPivot and went straight ahead to PowerBI and it is also my first encounter with DAX when I started PowerBI.

Also if you'd like to ask why I wanted to separate the task -  it's that I don't want to put too much load on PowerBI specially that it's going to be then shared via the Internet.. But I there might be a misconception here, maybe I'd also like to ask:

Are all created DAX formulas active on runtime or
Are there created DAX formulas that are active on design time only and some during runtime.

Apologies, fairly new with everything. Just wanted to get some clarification and gain better understanding.

Thank you again.....

1 REPLY 1
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

I can try to answer some of your questions

"Is there any difference with PowerPivot DAX and PowerBI DAX?"

Based on the course I took, PowerBI Dax is the same as PowerPivot 2016 Dax, but the difference between it and Power Pivot 2015 Dax are merely some advanced functions that you may not run into if you're just starting out.  I personally started with PowerBI and was able to do the same stuff in Power Pivot without issue.

"Are all created DAX formulas active on runtime or are there created DAX formulas that are active on design time only and some during runtime."

I think this is correct, but would love for someone to verify: DAX used in "Calculated columns" is executed at data refresh/load time, whereas DAX used in "measures" is executed run-time.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.