Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StinsmanJ

PowerBI "Contains" Slicer

Hey there 🙂 

putting a report together, we would like all prices for all sizes of our product. but the database when it was built was setup quite strange so the sizing info and the product name are in a single field. 

I would like to make a Slicer or a Measure that can show me "All rows that contain a selected value"

So far i have a part list that has all the product names without sizes and i'd like to be able to select a name then get all rows of the table that contain that name.  An example of our data is below.
parts list.png

as you can see any XXXYYY Number is a "Header" and the parts follow it. 
How to filter on a "Contains"? 

So far when i put this data into a slicer it slices on exact matches only and as all the part names have sizes none of them match except the header row which is quite useless...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

No such an out-of-the-box slicer or function available in PBI. Use measure

Screenshot 2021-07-22 003452.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

No such an out-of-the-box slicer or function available in PBI. Use measure

Screenshot 2021-07-22 003452.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hum that IF Statement is giving me an Error...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.