Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

kasen
Regular Visitor

PowerBI RLS on slicer in dashboard

kasen_0-1686476488242.png

Hello everyone,

The screenshot above is my data model for PowerBI dashboard. I already set the "Cross filter direction" between City lookup and Restaurant Inspection Data to "Both".

I applied RLS on the Inspector Lookup table as shown in the screenshot below:

kasen_1-1686476533074.png

When I tried to test the RLS by using "View as" in PowerBI, most of the DAX measures and visuals work well. However, I realized that the filter from RLS did not apply on the City Lookup table even thought I already set the cross filter direction to "Both". Below are the 2 screenshots before I applied RLS and after I applied RLS:

Before applying RLS:

kasen_2-1686476603285.png

After applying RLS:

kasen_3-1686476639631.png

As you can see in the screenshots above, after I applied the RLS, the bar chart and column chart at the left hand side were filtered, but City slicer and table at the right hand side still remain the same. What I need to do is select the Inspector Name in the slicer, then the table and city slicer only reflected accordingly as shown in the screenshot below:

kasen_4-1686476682679.png

May I know is there any way that I can avoid this situation? By right, if I want to apply RLS, there is no Inspector Name slicer in my dashboard since each inspector is only able to see his own data so the inspector slicer is useless to put in the dashboard. I want the City table are able to affected by the RLS as well, any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What I need to do is select the Inspector Name in the slicer, then the table and city slicer only reflected accordingly as shown in the screenshot below:

That is not really necessary.  Let the data model do the work for you.  Avoid having search directions pointing back into dimensions. They will filter automatically in the visual as soon as you add fact data.

If you want the City to affect the RLS then you need to apply RLS rules in the City table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.