Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sag_tyd
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Desktop Updates Wrong Report on Publish

Hello All,

I have quite a strange issue, and I'm going mad trying to figure it out.

I have a data set called "Customer Usage Data" and I've built three reports on top of it (the redlines are just copies for backup purposes):

sag_tyd_0-1687893953942.png

I use PowerBI Desktop to edit these reports. I have local files for all three. After I finish editing and making changes to the "Cost Data" report, I hit "Publish" as expected. I get the following message:

sag_tyd_1-1687894084781.png

This is exactly what I want to do - replace the "Cost Data" report in the service with my new edits. When I hit replace, I get the following confirmation:

sag_tyd_2-1687894232174.png

But the problem is - "Cost Data" was not actually updated online. Instead, this overwrites the "Aggregate Data" report.

I cannot figure out why this is happening. When I re-publish the "Aggregate Data" report, it properly overwrites the correct report online. It's just happening for "Cost Data" - and it's driving me crazy!

I originally created the "Aggregate Data" report as a copy of the "Cost Data" report - perhaps that is the cause? However, why would the original be overwriting the copy, especially now that they have different names?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sag_tyd,

>>I originally created the "Aggregate Data" report as a copy of the "Cost Data" report

Do you mean you create the Aggregate Data report by the function File>Save a copy?

vyanjiangmsft_0-1688030240222.png

If so, by my test, we I change the Cost Data report in Desktop and publish(create a measure and add a visual), it will indicate that "Replace this dataset" instead of "Replace this report" as yours, also it indicates replace this dataset may impact two report which includes the copied report.

vyanjiangmsft_1-1688030306999.png

After publish, I open the two reports and find that the data in two reports are all changed but only the Cost Data report add a visual.

Besides, by my research, report id may also impact the problem, please refer to the below suggestion:

When you publish a report to the Power BI service, it is given a unique ID that is used to identify it. This ID is separate from the report name that you see in the Power BI Desktop. It's possible that when you created the "Aggregate Data" report as a copy of the "Cost Data" report, the report IDs may have become mixed up. This could be causing the overwrite issue that you are experiencing. To resolve this issue, I would suggest checking the report IDs for both the "Cost Data" and "Aggregate Data" reports in the Power BI service. You can do this by going to the report's settings in the Power BI service and looking for the report ID. Make sure that the report ID for each report matches the report that you are trying to publish.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sag_tyd,

>>I originally created the "Aggregate Data" report as a copy of the "Cost Data" report

Do you mean you create the Aggregate Data report by the function File>Save a copy?

vyanjiangmsft_0-1688030240222.png

If so, by my test, we I change the Cost Data report in Desktop and publish(create a measure and add a visual), it will indicate that "Replace this dataset" instead of "Replace this report" as yours, also it indicates replace this dataset may impact two report which includes the copied report.

vyanjiangmsft_1-1688030306999.png

After publish, I open the two reports and find that the data in two reports are all changed but only the Cost Data report add a visual.

Besides, by my research, report id may also impact the problem, please refer to the below suggestion:

When you publish a report to the Power BI service, it is given a unique ID that is used to identify it. This ID is separate from the report name that you see in the Power BI Desktop. It's possible that when you created the "Aggregate Data" report as a copy of the "Cost Data" report, the report IDs may have become mixed up. This could be causing the overwrite issue that you are experiencing. To resolve this issue, I would suggest checking the report IDs for both the "Cost Data" and "Aggregate Data" reports in the Power BI service. You can do this by going to the report's settings in the Power BI service and looking for the report ID. Make sure that the report ID for each report matches the report that you are trying to publish.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello

If the two report ID's are different than what is the solution? Is it possible to change the ID?

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft - thanks for your response! I appreciate all of the details.

You were right - when I published "Cost Data" it was being pushed to the live service under the ID for the "Aggregate Data" report. No idea how that happened, but I ended up just replacing "Aggregate Data" on the service entirely with the other report. As in, just let it overwrite. Then, I simply published a new "Aggregate Data" and it created a new report on the service. 

Both reports are now syncing properly. 

Thanks again for your expertise!

sag_tyd
Frequent Visitor

I looked at the Lineage view of the Data Set and saw there were duplicates of each of the reports?

sag_tyd_0-1687895121401.png

What is happening here? Why are there duplicates that appear in the Lineage view, but not in the List view? 

sag_tyd_1-1687895252428.png

Getting quite frustrated with this service... You'd think it would be simple!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.