Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mmills2018
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Query

I want to use power query to subset my data to a specific employee.  any ideas of how i can do this.  I understand it depends on the name of my file, etc, but are you able to provide high level guidance?

7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmills2018 ,

Do you mean to pass user logged-in information to Power Query to filter the data before being imported into Power BI according to the logged-in user, instead of filtering data, such as RLS, slicer, after all the data being imported?

In adition, what's your data source? And is the connection type import?

Best Regards,

Icey

for my data source is an intergration feed.  All my data is in PBI, now what i want to do is filter my million plus rows to one Employee by their employee id using Power Query.  Is this possible?  I am trying to give someone else my pbix without the sensitive data in the pbix.  I can't completely remove the data, hence why i want to only include one row of data.  Also, if i pass off this pbix to another person, would they be able to use power query to reverse essentially the only 1 row of data?

If you share a PBIX with someone, they will allways have full access to all the data in that PBIX. They may also be able to view all source data and undo any filtering in Power BI. For this reason, it's better to publish the report to Power BI and share that with them, which is secure. If you use Row Level Security you can secure the published Dataset by login, so what can be seen of the data depends on Power BI login details.

Generally there is no security if you share a pbix file, security can be applied once the data is  published to Power BI service.

Hope this helps

Stuart

thank-you!  Even if before sharing, I use power query to limit my data to one row of data?

When you share the PBIX you are sending the Data Connection details, so if the recipient has access to the data (on a shared drive, or on a shared SQL database) they will be able to see all the data. You will be relying on the external security to prevent the recipient accessing the data. It's not best practice, because if you forget to limit the data, or if the recipient gets inquisitive they can see where the data is originally stored and try to access it.

Publishing to Power BI solves this problem and keep your data secure.

It just depends whether you're serious about data security, if you are, a licence is a small price to pay to prevent a possible data leak.

Stuart

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mmills2018 , The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

You can use parameter or Dynamic M parameters 

Appreciate your Kudos.

yes, i am sorry.  I have a massive data file, serval 1000s rows of data.  I want to filter by data to just one employee id.  i want to do this through power qi and delete the other rows of data. tyring to see if this is a possibility?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.